Paul Sexton

Default Callouts in Charts

Does anyone know a way to keep the pointer of a callout assigned to a point
in a graph? I am trying to add additional data points to graphs and my
callouts don't follow the point. Is there a way to do this without moving
the call out every time?
Tushar Mehta

You could use a datalabel instead of a callout. Not the same visual
effect but...

If you do decide to go that route, you may want to use Bovey's XY
Chartlabeler (www.appspro.com) or Walkenbach's ChartTools (www.j-
walk.com).

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "=?
Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBTZXh0b24=?=" <Paul
says...
Does anyone know a way to keep the pointer of a callout assigned to a point
in a graph? I am trying to add additional data points to graphs and my
callouts don't follow the point. Is there a way to do this without moving
the call out every time?

Paul Sexton

Tushar,

Thanks for your reply. The data labels seem to want to show data for more
than a single point. I am using these callouts to record information on
control charts where there are assignable causes for data points outside of a
normal distribution. I have tried both programs without much success.

Paul

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

You could use a datalabel instead of a callout. Not the same visual
effect but...

If you do decide to go that route, you may want to use Bovey's XY
Chartlabeler (www.appspro.com) or Walkenbach's ChartTools (www.j-
walk.com).

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "=?
Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBTZXh0b24=?=" <Paul
says...
Does anyone know a way to keep the pointer of a callout assigned to a point
in a graph? I am trying to add additional data points to graphs and my
callouts don't follow the point. Is there a way to do this without moving
the call out every time?

Tushar Mehta

Suppose your data are in A2:B{whatever}. Enter the notes you want in
C2:C{whatever} for only those points for which you want said notes.
Now, set the datalabels to C2:C{whatever}.

Yes, all points will have datalabels attached to them. But they will
be empty with the exception of what you enter.

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

You could use a datalabel instead of a callout. Not the same visual
effect but...

If you do decide to go that route, you may want to use Bovey's XY
Chartlabeler (
www.appspro.com) or Walkenbach's ChartTools (www.j-
walk.com).

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "=?
Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBTZXh0b24=?=" <Paul
says...
Does anyone know a way to keep the pointer of a callout assigned to a point
in a graph? I am trying to add additional data points to graphs and my
callouts don't follow the point. Is there a way to do this without moving
the call out every time?

Paul Sexton

Tushar,

Sorry to be a pest. One more twist to this process. We are adding data
all the time. So, I am change the source data range to delete older data
and then include new data. When I do this, it seems the range of the data
labels doesn't move. Can I get these to move automatically or update the
range of data label somewhere? It seems that I can only delete the old
labels and create a new one.

Paul

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

You could use a datalabel instead of a callout. Not the same visual
effect but...

If you do decide to go that route, you may want to use Bovey's XY
Chartlabeler (
www.appspro.com) or Walkenbach's ChartTools (www.j-
walk.com).

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , "=?
Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBTZXh0b24=?=" <Paul
says...
Does anyone know a way to keep the pointer of a callout assigned to a point
in a graph? I am trying to add additional data points to graphs and my
callouts don't follow the point. Is there a way to do this without moving
the call out every time?

Tushar Mehta

How are you making these changes to the chart data? If
programmatically, enhance the code to redo the data labels assignment.
If by hand, add one more step to redo the needful.