holg3r

Default unwanted resizing when copy-pasting embedded charts

When looking at a worksheet at any zoom factor other than 100%,
copy-pasting an embedded chart multiplies the original chart size by
this zoom factor. Since I prefer to work with zoom factor 75%, pasted
charts always get smaller than their original copy. Thus, the only way
I know to obtain pasted copies at the original size is by first
switching to zoom factor 100%. This is most likely a bug of Excel but
if any of you knows a way to correct this counterintuitive behavior,
please let me know. Thanx!
(I'm using Excel 2003.)

--
holg3r
holg3r's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23836

Jon Peltier

Holger -

There are other reasons to stick with 100% zoom, but I'll respect your
preferences.

Hold down the shift key when you select a chart, so it is highlighted by
small white handles instead of small black ones. Now copy and paste the
chart, and it will not change in size from the original regardless of
zoom setting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

holg3r wrote:

When looking at a worksheet at any zoom factor other than 100%,
copy-pasting an embedded chart multiplies the original chart size by
this zoom factor. Since I prefer to work with zoom factor 75%, pasted
charts always get smaller than their original copy. Thus, the only way
I know to obtain pasted copies at the original size is by first
switching to zoom factor 100%. This is most likely a bug of Excel but
if any of you knows a way to correct this counterintuitive behavior,
please let me know. Thanx!
(I'm using Excel 2003.)

holg3r

Thank you, Jon! The SHIFT key did the job the way you said. This makes
my work much easier, thanks again!

Your initial remark made me curious -- what would be the "other reasons
to stick with 100% zoom"?

Holger

--
holg3r
holg3r's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23836
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374900

Jon Peltier

You would ask... The chart size thing is a major one, and I only
discovered the shift-click behavior recently. But I vaguely recall
having issues like this in the past, not only with charts, but with rows
and columns that don't autosize properly because the screen fonts don't
fit in cells the way the printer fonts do except at 100% or higher, and
other behaviors as well. For the past decade at least, I've stuck to
100% view, and now I've forgotten most of the reasons for this.

- Jon
-------

holg3r wrote:

Thank you, Jon! The SHIFT key did the job the way you said. This makes
my work much easier, thanks again!

Your initial remark made me curious -- what would be the "other reasons
to stick with 100% zoom"?

Holger

holg3r

Thanx anyway, I think I got the idea... In fact, I recall a few issues
with displaying certain fonts myself...

All the best,
Holger