Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Pivot table chart problem, How to show different subtotal levels

Hi,
Using Excel 2003,
I have a pivot table using external data via ODBC.
I have a chart based on my pivot table.
The table and chart are working correctly.

The PTcontains two levels of sales subtotals
1st level is by county
2nd level is by state.

My client is telling me that the data in the chart is too detailed.

He wants to have the both levels of subtotals in the PT,
but only the county subtotals in the chart.
If I delete the county sales subtotals from the chart, they are also deleted
from the PT.

Is it possible for the chart to be based on the PT and not show the same
subtotal levels ?

---
I used to have a workaround for this where I hid a second PT underneath the
chart.
This second PT was based on the same external ODBC data but did not have the
county subtotal details.
One satisfied client.
And that was great while it lasted ...

The problem now is that the client needs to use the data filters in the
visible PT
and his filtering is not being reflected in the second PT and therefore not
being updated on the chart.

So I have tried basing the second table on the first table hoping to catch
any filtering but that is not working.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the filtering in the first PT is not having any
effect on the chart.

Any help appreciated.
TIA,
Ycorth

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I think you meant to write :

He wants to have the both levels of subtotals in the PT,

BUT ONLY THE STATE SUBTOTALS IN THE CHART

That way your question makes more sense, even if I don't have the answer. :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can use VBA to twiddle the filters, usually based on other controls
such as combo boxes (choose something in a combo box or data validation
list, this triggers the macro, which sets filters on multiple PTs)

Or you can upgrade to Excel 2010 (due in May / June) and use slicers,
which are designed to do exactly what you need here - provide easy to
use filtering that you can link to multiple pivot tables if you wish.

Hope this helps

Adam