Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default graphing counted time stamps

Is it possible to generate a graph of counted timestamps? I am importing into
Excel a log file and get one column of time stamps, some time stamps are 1
time , or multiple times. The idea is that for each one time stamp on the
x-axis the y axis shows the counted amount of timestamps for this time. I
assume this should be a common problem, but I could not find the answer for
this.
Any help appreciated, Wolfgang
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Create a PivotTable and PivotChart with the timestamp as the row field
and the data field. Make sure Excel uses COUNT(Timestamp) as the
statistic it shows and not SUM(,,,) or some other statistic.

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 06:53:02 -0800, Wolfgang
wrote:

Is it possible to generate a graph of counted timestamps? I am importing into
Excel a log file and get one column of time stamps, some time stamps are 1
time , or multiple times. The idea is that for each one time stamp on the
x-axis the y axis shows the counted amount of timestamps for this time. I
assume this should be a common problem, but I could not find the answer for
this.
Any help appreciated, Wolfgang

Regards,

Tushar Mehta
Microsoft MVP Excel 2000-present
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel and PowerPoint tutorials and add-ins
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for the fast answer. I never used pivot tables-chart before. I can
create the pivot table, insert the data into the x-axis. But i am stuck where
i have to insert the count formula. Can you point me to a how to for this?
Thanks a lot again, Wolfgang

wrote:

Is it possible to generate a graph of counted timestamps? I am importing into
Excel a log file and get one column of time stamps, some time stamps are 1
time , or multiple times. The idea is that for each one time stamp on the
x-axis the y axis shows the counted amount of timestamps for this time. I
assume this should be a common problem, but I could not find the answer for
this.
Any help appreciated, Wolfgang

Regards,

Tushar Mehta
Microsoft MVP Excel 2000-present
www.tushar-mehta.com
Excel and PowerPoint tutorials and add-ins
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Click and drag the timestamp to the data area. If Excel shows you the
Sum(), right click the item in the PT, select 'Value field
settings...' and in the 'Summarize By' tab select the Count option.