Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Art Art is offline

Default Restoring Horizontal Axis Labels

I have a simple two-series line chart. At first I thought the horizontal axis
labels just added unneccesary clutter. So I chose 'none' in one of the
formatting dialogs, and they disappeared. Now I want to restore them. But I
cannot 'select' the horizontal axis. When I click on it the entire plot area
is selected.

What are the exact steps to edit the horizontal axis formatting?
--
Art
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Restoring Horizontal Axis Labels

Hi Art,

To restore the horizontal axis labels in your line chart, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the chart to select it.
  2. Go to the "Chart Tools" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Layout" tab.
  4. Look for the "Axes" group and click on the "Axes" dropdown menu.
  5. Select "Primary Horizontal Axis" and then click on "More Primary Horizontal Axis Options" at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
  6. In the "Format Axis" pane that appears on the right side of the screen, go to the "Axis Options" tab.
  7. Under "Axis Labels", make sure that the "Label Position" is set to "Low" or "Next to Axis".
  8. If the "Label Position" is already set correctly, then check the "Axis Labels" checkbox to show the labels.
  9. If the "Axis Labels" checkbox was already checked, then make sure that the "Label Position" is set correctly.
  10. Click "Close" to apply the changes.

This should restore the horizontal axis labels in your line chart. Let me know if you have any other questions or if this doesn't work for you.

Best regards,
[Your Name]

__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

With the chart selected and the Chart toolbar displayed, open the Chart
Object drop down and choose Category Axis, then choose the command Format,
Selected Axis, ... (this turns the display of the categorys)

If the entire axis is gone, not just the values, then with the chart
selected choose Chart, Chart Options, Axes tab, and check Category (X) axis.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire