Tod

Default Trying to do this chart

I'm hoping somebody could tell me how to do this chart:

I have several scheduled tasks that start at different
times and run for various durations of time. I'd like to
create a chart with the scheduled times as the Y axis and
durations as the X axis. I'd like to have bars (or lines,
etc.) that fill in for the duration. So the end result
will be something where I can see from a glance how many
of these processes are overlapping.

Any ideas?
tod

John Mansfield

Todd,

You could create a Gnatt chart to show the overlapped processes. As an
example

(1) Add the "Task" title to cell A1 and set the remainder of your data up
like this:

Task Start Time Duration End Time
Process 1 2:00 6:00 8:00
Process 2 7:00 6:00 13:00
Process 3 9:00 2:30 11:30
Process 4 10:00 2:30 12:30
Process 5 14:00 1:45 15:45
Process 6 16:00 2:00 18:00
Process 7 18:00 1:00 19:00

When complete, your data should cover the range A1:D8 with titles in row 1.

(2) Select cells A1:C8 and go to the chart wizard. Choose the Bar -
Stacked Bar chart option. Make sure the series option is "columns".
(3) Double-click on the series bars called "start time". They should be
the longer set of bars of the two.
(4) On the Format Data Series - Patterns tab, choose these options:
Border = None
Area = None
(5) You can then format the rest of the chart as you like.

On the X-axis scale, you can set the minimum to zero and the maximum to one
(1) to cover on full day. The major unit could be set at 0.041667 to account
for one-hour intervals or 0.83333 to account for two-hour intervals.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
Http://www.pdbook.com

"Tod" wrote:

I'm hoping somebody could tell me how to do this chart:

I have several scheduled tasks that start at different
times and run for various durations of time. I'd like to
create a chart with the scheduled times as the Y axis and
durations as the X axis. I'd like to have bars (or lines,
etc.) that fill in for the duration. So the end result
will be something where I can see from a glance how many
of these processes are overlapping.

Any ideas?
tod

John Mansfield

Tod,

I forgot to add . . you will have a legend on your chart that has a "Start
Time" and "Duration" label. Click on the "Start Time" label inside of the
legend and hit the delete key to get rid of it. The legend should only show
the "Duration" label now.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield