Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Negative values on X axis

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to chart some data. My X axis runs from -100 to 100. When I
chart the data the graph shows all data to the Right of the Y axis (0) and
nothing to the left. So my X axis goes 0, -100, -50, -25, 25, 50, 100 etc.
How can I get information (my negative values) to show up to the LEFT of the
Y axis or to the LEFT of the 0? The data I am working with is below.

Thanks very much!!

X axis Y axis
-100 104
-60 296
-30 353
-14 211
-7 503
7 821
14 303
30 470
60 462
100 226

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Kell2604 wrote on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:06:10 -0800:

I am trying to chart some data. My X axis runs from -100 to
100. When I chart the data the graph shows all data to the
Right of the Y axis (0) and nothing to the left. So my X axis
goes 0, -100, -50, -25, 25, 50, 100 etc. How can I get
information (my negative values) to show up to the LEFT of the
Y axis or to the LEFT of the 0? The data I am working with is
below.

Thanks very much!!

Assuming a standard graph ("scatter chart"), the crossing point of what
Excel calls the "value axis" (y) can be set by right-clicking on the
x-axis values Format axisScale. You may also need to set the value
range for x.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Sounds like you are using Line rather than XY-Scatter chart type.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Kell2604" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks James. Is it not possible to do this with a bar chart? I'm guessing
no. I have done it with a scatter chart. The problem is, it's not easy to
see the values of the points as with a bar chart. My boss would like to be
able to easily determine the value of the point and it's proximity to the Y
axis. With the scatter chart the proximity looks great but because of the
"scattered dots" you cannot easily discern the value of the dot...
Does that make sense?

"James Silverton" wrote:

Kell2604 wrote on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:06:10 -0800:

I am trying to chart some data. My X axis runs from -100 to
100. When I chart the data the graph shows all data to the
Right of the Y axis (0) and nothing to the left. So my X axis
goes 0, -100, -50, -25, 25, 50, 100 etc. How can I get
information (my negative values) to show up to the LEFT of the
Y axis or to the LEFT of the 0? The data I am working with is
below.

Thanks very much!!

Assuming a standard graph ("scatter chart"), the crossing point of what
Excel calls the "value axis" (y) can be set by right-clicking on the
x-axis values Format axisScale. You may also need to set the value
range for x.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Andy wrote on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:29:05 -0000:

Sounds like you are using Line rather than XY-Scatter chart
type.

The Chart Labeler utility
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm
could be used with a "column" chart. You would create the chart with the
y-values only and then add labels for the x-values.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Nope I wasn't using a line. I was using a scatter chart. Is it not possible
to have bars to the negative side of the X axis? I guess my question is...is
the scatter chart my only option for showing data to the left of the y axis?

My ultimate goal was to get something like this...(which the scatter chart
does show - just not as cleanly as I would like). Where the space down the
middle is my Y axis or 0. There is no data below the x axis.

xxxx xxxx
xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxxx xxxxxx
xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

"James Silverton" wrote:

Andy wrote on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:29:05 -0000:

Sounds like you are using Line rather than XY-Scatter chart
type.

The Chart Labeler utility
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm
could be used with a "column" chart. You would create the chart with the
y-values only and then add labels for the x-values.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In an Excel horizontal bar chart, the Y axis is the horizontal axis, which
has the values being plotted. The vertical axis, which shows category
labels, is the X axis. Don't try to use numerical values for both X and Y of
a bar chart. It will not come out right and everyone will walk away
confused. If you are showing numerical X and Y data, use an XY chart.

If your bars will have category labels and not X values, put these labels in
the first column and the numerical values in the second column, then make
the bar chart. It will go left and right depending on the sign of the Y
values.

Another way to get a similar effect is to make an XY chart, then add error
bars. Add negative X (horizontal) error bars, using the percentage option,
and 100 as the percentage. This will draw an error bar from each marker to
the vertical (Y) axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP