Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How to chart a large amount of Data to Chart

I have create a gantt chart with three series, which is possible to do,
however I have about 700 rows to chart, which makes the chart unreadable
unless mammoth in size. Any sugestions ,besides the obvious of not charting
some of the data.
I am need to report each event for a YTD period to show cycle time change.
Is there perhaps another chart type?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

I love Excel, but you are in the wrong tool for doing Gantt charts. You
should consider MS Project.

You are trying to resolve 700 bars, columns or lines and its not going to
work well in standard size chart.

You might Google Gantt Charts in Excel and see what you find.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire
"Jennifer" wrote:

I have create a gantt chart with three series, which is possible to do,
however I have about 700 rows to chart, which makes the chart unreadable
unless mammoth in size. Any sugestions ,besides the obvious of not charting
some of the data.
I am need to report each event for a YTD period to show cycle time change.
Is there perhaps another chart type?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You've more or less answered your own question. Think about it this
way and it applies irrespective of the program you use. Even if you
had a monitor that showed 1,400 pixels horizontally the 700 elements
you want to show limit each element to be only 2 pixels wide!

One option you haven't mentioned is to summarize the tasks into
functionally meaningful groups and show the groups in a high-level
chart. Each group can then be individually shown in a chart by
itself.

So, your choices are show a chart that is essentially undecipherable,
use a mammoth chart, remove some elements, or summarize the data into
groups.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:16:00 -0800, Jennifer
wrote:

I have create a gantt chart with three series, which is possible to
do,
however I have about 700 rows to chart, which makes the chart
unreadable
unless mammoth in size. Any sugestions ,besides the obvious of not
charting
some of the data.
I am need to report each event for a YTD period to show cycle time
change.
Is there perhaps another chart type?

Regards,

Tushar Mehta
Microsoft MVP Excel 2000-2008
www.tushar-mehta.com
Tutorials and add-ins for Excel, PowerPoint, and other products