Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default I need to chart some data points!

I am trying to chart two columns from a .csv file. In the Chart Wizard.
When it gets to the Data Range, the field is blank. So I high lite the two
columns again, and try to hit next button. Microsoft excel says, "A formula
in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references. Verify that
formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and cell reference. It
won't chart my data. What should I do? Is it 2003 excel fault?
If I try to chart a .xml file with the same steps and it works. Also out of
the high lited columns; Data Range field is already filled in correctly with
columns check marked. And then it charts for me! Does excel 2003 chart .csv
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

A couple thoughts:

1 - Do you have headers for every column?

2 - Have you tried saving as .xls first?

"gford" wrote:

I am trying to chart two columns from a .csv file. In the Chart Wizard.
When it gets to the Data Range, the field is blank. So I high lite the two
columns again, and try to hit next button. Microsoft excel says, "A formula
in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references. Verify that
formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and cell reference. It
won't chart my data. What should I do? Is it 2003 excel fault?
If I try to chart a .xml file with the same steps and it works. Also out of
the high lited columns; Data Range field is already filled in correctly with
columns check marked. And then it charts for me! Does excel 2003 chart .csv
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hello Sean, Thank you for responding to me! Yes there are headers for every
column. I am a realtor exporting data out of MLS and it only exports in .csv
files. The headers I am trying to graph are sold price vs. sold date. And
there is a string of numbers below each header. I highlight both headers and
then hit the chart icon. The data range field is blank. At this point I try
to re-highlight and I still get the same error message. Have any ideas?
Thank you,
Greg

"gford" wrote:

I am trying to chart two columns from a .csv file. In the Chart Wizard.
When it gets to the Data Range, the field is blank. So I high lite the two
columns again, and try to hit next button. Microsoft excel says, "A formula
in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references. Verify that
formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and cell reference. It
won't chart my data. What should I do? Is it 2003 excel fault?
If I try to chart a .xml file with the same steps and it works. Also out of
the high lited columns; Data Range field is already filled in correctly with
columns check marked. And then it charts for me! Does excel 2003 chart .csv
files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Sean asked two questions, but you answered only one.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"gford" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Perhaps I don't know the definitions? Which question did I not answer?
Please specify. MLS only exports in .csv files. Can I convert them? I
thought that I identified what a header was. Sold price vs. sold date. If
not please specify.
Thank you, Greg