Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Chart Sort

My data is sorted descending and I want to keep it that way, how can I sort
my chart into ascending without resorting my data to desending order? Thx for
the help.
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Use a different set of cells for your chart data.
You can use formula to reverse the order of the data.

Assuming chart data, labels and values, in A2:B6. Use this formula in E2

=INDEX($A$2:$B$6,ROW($6:$6)-ROW()+1,COLUMN()-COLUMN($E:$E)+1)

copy across and down range E2:F6

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"AAT@MCMLP" wrote in message
My data is sorted descending and I want to keep it that way, how can I
sort
my chart into ascending without resorting my data to desending order? Thx
for
the help.
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you for your reply. My data is actually sorted by date in decending
order (I want the lastest data on top) and I want my line chart to be
ascending from left to right (oldest to newest). My data will continue to
grow and I'm using Excel 2007. I assume your suggestion will require me to
maintain another set of data? Can i do it with just maintaining the desending
data? Thank you for your help again.
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP

"AAT@MCMLP" wrote in message
My data is sorted descending and I want to keep it that way, how can I
sort
my chart into ascending without resorting my data to desending order? Thx
for
the help.
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Select the X axis and check on the Format dialog Axis Options
the setting of Axis type.

Perhaps setting it to Date Axis will give you the desired result.

Cheers
Andy

--

"AAT@MCMLP" wrote in message
My data is sorted descending and I want to keep it that way, how can I
sort
my chart into ascending without resorting my data to desending order?
Thx
for
the help.
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks again for your reply. It did not give me an option to re-sort the date
in the line chart. Maybe my only option is to create another set of data
which I both need to maintain. Any other suggestion? Thanks again.
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP

"AAT@MCMLP" wrote in message
My data is sorted descending and I want to keep it that way, how can I
sort
my chart into ascending without resorting my data to desending order?
Thx
for
the help.
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It would not resort the data.

If you use Time series (date) axis it will go oldest to youngest.
If you use Text (categories) it will go 1st category to last category.

if you want to send your file off newsgroup I will have a look see.
andy AT andypope DOT info

Cheers
Andy

--

"AAT@MCMLP" wrote in message
My data is sorted descending and I want to keep it that way, how can
sort
my chart into ascending without resorting my data to desending
order?
Thx
for
the help.
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you so much for the help
--
___________
AAT@MCMLP

"AAT@MCMLP" wrote in message
My data is sorted descending and I want to keep it that way, how can
sort
my chart into ascending without resorting my data to desending
order?
Thx
for
the help.
--
AAT@MCMLP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Andy. Sorry I overlooked that date column. I did not realize that it
is not in date format. Thank you so much for the help. Have a great day!
-Arnold
--
AAT@MCMLP