Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
epu epu is offline

Default How do I change where category x axis crosses the 2nd y axis?

I'm trying to get the x axis to cross the y axis at zero for both the primary
and secondary y axis. However, since both sets of data points has negative
figures the x axis crosses the secondary y axis at a negative number. What
am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
epu said:

I'm trying to get the x axis to cross the y axis at zero for both the primary
and secondary y axis. However, since both sets of data points has negative
figures the x axis crosses the secondary y axis at a negative number. What
am I doing wrong?

You must make sure the two Y axes have maximum and minimum set to the
same proportion with respect to their zeroes. So if the primary Y axis
goes from -5 minimum to +10 maximum, and the secondary Y axis must have
a maximum of +4, then set its minimum to be -2. And so on.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The primary X axis has no connection to the secondary Y axis. Del points out
correctly that you need to make sure the Y axis scale parameters are related
by their ratios. I have some VBA code on this web page that will align the
axes for you:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignXon2Ys.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

epu said:

I'm trying to get the x axis to cross the y axis at zero for both the
primary
and secondary y axis. However, since both sets of data points has
negative
figures the x axis crosses the secondary y axis at a negative number.
What
am I doing wrong?

You must make sure the two Y axes have maximum and minimum set to the same
proportion with respect to their zeroes. So if the primary Y axis goes
from -5 minimum to +10 maximum, and the secondary Y axis must have a
maximum of +4, then set its minimum to be -2. And so on.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
AR AR is offline

I tried to to the calculation as per your email, but I still can't get it to
align both axes at 0.. Can you please let me know where I input the code you
provide on your website?

Thanks.

epu said:

I'm trying to get the x axis to cross the y axis at zero for both the
primary
and secondary y axis. However, since both sets of data points has
negative
figures the x axis crosses the secondary y axis at a negative number.
What
am I doing wrong?

You must make sure the two Y axes have maximum and minimum set to the same
proportion with respect to their zeroes. So if the primary Y axis goes
from -5 minimum to +10 maximum, and the secondary Y axis must have a
maximum of +4, then set its minimum to be -2. And so on.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This blog entry ought to help explain it:

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...e-elses-macro/

- Jon
-------

epu said:

I'm trying to get the x axis to cross the y axis at zero for both the
primary
and secondary y axis. However, since both sets of data points has
negative
figures the x axis crosses the secondary y axis at a negative number.
What
am I doing wrong?

You must make sure the two Y axes have maximum and minimum set to the
same
proportion with respect to their zeroes. So if the primary Y axis goes
from -5 minimum to +10 maximum, and the secondary Y axis must have a
maximum of +4, then set its minimum to be -2. And so on.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,
which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3
instead.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
AR AR is offline

I got the code from previous link and pasted it into my Chart sheet, however
I think what complicates things is that I have already 2 primary data set and
I guess I need to enter the code for the 2nd as well?