Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Value (Y) axis crosses between categories and Secondary Value (Y) Axis

Hi all -

I have 7 series on my chart
Series 1 is column chart - may be area chart eventually (2007 data)
Series 2 is column chart 2008 data
Series 3 is column chart 2007 avg
Series 4 is a column chart 2008 avg
Series 5 is a line chart (32,0 benchmark)
Series 6 is a line chart (points to column chart for 2007 avg, I then
add text to right to explain the column)
Series 7 is a line chart (points to column chart for 2008 avg, I then
add text to right to explain the column)

I would like the column charts for 2007 and 2008 data to be flush to
the origin (12 data points each year)
I would like the benchmark line chart of 32 to span the chart area
from left to right (16 data points)

From what I've read, the way to accomplish this, is to clear the tick

mark from Value (Y) axis crosses between categories when formatting
the x axis.

However, when I do that, the data point for 2007 closest to the origin
appears cut-off on left side of column

I more or less posted this information on Ozgrid a few days ago
(Ozgrid is now down until Nov. 13 according to the site). Andy Pope
replied that if I move the line charts to the Secondary Value (Y)
Axis, that would resolve the problem.

I must be doing something wrong. I did assign the line chart to
Secondary Value (Y) Axis and then cleared the tick mark on the x axis:
Value (Y) axis crosses between categories. However whatever datapoint
is closest to the Primary Y Axis disappears entirely

What am I doing wrong here?
Send a confidential e-mail for a sample copy of the workbook
Best regards,
-markc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

To draw a line on a chart, use a technique like this:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"-markc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all -

I have 7 series on my chart
Series 1 is column chart - may be area chart eventually (2007 data)
Series 2 is column chart 2008 data
Series 3 is column chart 2007 avg
Series 4 is a column chart 2008 avg
Series 5 is a line chart (32,0 benchmark)
Series 6 is a line chart (points to column chart for 2007 avg, I then
add text to right to explain the column)
Series 7 is a line chart (points to column chart for 2008 avg, I then
add text to right to explain the column)

I would like the column charts for 2007 and 2008 data to be flush to
the origin (12 data points each year)
I would like the benchmark line chart of 32 to span the chart area
from left to right (16 data points)

From what I've read, the way to accomplish this, is to clear the tick

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"-markc" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi all -

I have 7 series on my chart
Series 1 is column chart - may be area chart eventually (2007 data)
Series 2 is column chart 2008 data
Series 3 is column chart 2007 avg
Series 4 is a column chart 2008 avg
Series 5 is a line chart (32,0 benchmark)
Series 6 is a line chart (points to column chart for 2007 avg, I then
add text to right to explain the column)
Series 7 is a line chart (points to column chart for 2008 avg, I then
add text to right to explain the column)

I would like the column charts for 2007 and 2008 data to be flush to
the origin (12 data points each year)
I would like the benchmark line chart of 32 to span the chart area
from left to right (16 data points)

From what I've read, the way to accomplish this, is to clear the tick

mark from Value (Y) axis crosses between categories when formatting
the x axis.

However, when I do that, the data point for 2007 closest to the origin
appears cut-off on left side of column

I more or less posted this information on Ozgrid a few days ago
(Ozgrid is now down until Nov. 13 according to the site). Andy Pope
replied that if I move the line charts to the Secondary Value (Y)
Axis, that would resolve the problem.

I must be doing something wrong. I did assign the line chart to
Secondary Value (Y) Axis and then cleared the tick mark on the x axis:
Value (Y) axis crosses between categories. However whatever datapoint
is closest to the Primary Y Axis disappears entirely

What am I doing wrong here?
Send a confidential e-mail for a sample copy of the workbook
Best regards,
-markc- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Jon
Works great