KCollard

Default Default Line Weight in Excel

How do I change the default setting for the "Line Weight" when creating
charts - at the moment all of my graphs are created with a very thin line
weight & I would like the standard to be thicker....
John Mansfield

You can't change the default line weight. However, you can create a custom
chart with the heavier line weights and then use that custom chart instead of
Excel's defaults. To do so, click once on your finished chart with the
heavier line weights. Go to the standard toolbar and select Chart - Chart
Type. In the Chart Type dialog box, select the Custom Types tab. Go to the
bottom of the dialog box and select User Defined. Add a name for your chart
and a description if needed. Hit the Add button and your custom chart will
be saved with all of Excel's given charts.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"KCollard" wrote:

How do I change the default setting for the "Line Weight" when creating
charts - at the moment all of my graphs are created with a very thin line
weight & I would like the standard to be thicker....

redbelly

John Mansfield wrote:
... you can create a custom chart ...

You can also set your custom chart to be the default, as follows.

After you've added your chart type to Excel's list (as in John's
instructions):

Right-click on the chart
Click on Chart Type
Select the Custom Types tab
Click on the "User-defined" option
Select your custom chart type (so that it is highlighted)
Click the "Set as default chart" button

I wish more people would do this. Whenever I get a xeroxed copy of an
Excel chart with the default gray plot area, it is unreadable (gray
shades tend to become darker with xeroxing).

Mark

p.s. A question: occasionally, Excel "forgets" that I have set a custom
chart as the default, and reverts to the standard Excel default. I am
not sure what I have done, if anything, to cause this. Does anybody
else experience this, and/or know why it happens?