Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
RPG RPG is offline

Default Bar Chart to line chart excel 2007

I am trying to create a bar chart layout but with lines replacing the bars so
the lines are seen to run vertically. This gives the impression of a line
chart rotated thro 90 degrees.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This is sometimes referred to as a Dot Plot:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"RPG" wrote in message
I am trying to create a bar chart layout but with lines replacing the bars
so
the lines are seen to run vertically. This gives the impression of a line
chart rotated thro 90 degrees.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
RPG said:
I am trying to create a bar chart layout but with lines replacing the bars so
the lines are seen to run vertically. This gives the impression of a line
chart rotated thro 90 degrees.

It's a shame Excel doesn't provide such a format, isn't it? In my
opinion there shouldn't be a "column chart" and a "bar chart": instead
all charts should have a "rotate through 90 degrees" option.

How will you present the finished item? If it's a picture in a
presentation, or a printed page, perhaps you could simply use a line
chart with the *text* rotated through 90 degrees. I've done this, and
apart from having to crane my neck all the time while developing it, the
final product is quite satisfactory.

If you will be viewing it using Excel, and don't want to get a sore
neck, try some of the following:

http://www.google.com/search?q=excel+dot-plots

These techniques use scatter charts with some modification, to produce
sideways line charts (don't worry if the examples have no lines, only
dots; that's a trivial thing to fix)

--
Del Cotter