Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default how to create a line chart with data from multiple worksheets

Okay I've seen this subject line in several postings but this may or may not
be a bit different. I'd like to create a line graph of my monthly expenses.
I have an expense worksheet for each month and a workbook for each year. How
can I plot one value for each month (my monthly expenditures) in a line graph
with one line representing the entire year and 1 point plotted for each
months value totaling 12 points? I've tried to do this using a seperate
series for each month's value but I keep getting all twelve values plotted
but only one value in the x-axis. I'd like to have each month on the x-axis.
Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...iffSheets.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"emilehanson" wrote in message
Okay I've seen this subject line in several postings but this may or may
not
be a bit different. I'd like to create a line graph of my monthly
expenses.
I have an expense worksheet for each month and a workbook for each year.
How
can I plot one value for each month (my monthly expenditures) in a line
graph
with one line representing the entire year and 1 point plotted for each
months value totaling 12 points? I've tried to do this using a seperate
series for each month's value but I keep getting all twelve values plotted
but only one value in the x-axis. I'd like to have each month on the
x-axis.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I found the format for the series formula on the link you sent me in your
response. However my Y values are not a range of cells on the same sheet.
Each Y value in the series is on a seperate worksheet. Is it possible to use
data points for my Y values from different sheets but all values are in the
same series? Let's say I'd like to use a string of 12 data points on my Y
axis but each data point is located on a seperate page. I'm looking for a
way to do this without having to create a summary page.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I would strongly recommend pulling the series data together on a worksheet,
then the chart plotting is easy.

As Jon said in another thread earlier today:
"I always tell people to spend five minutes with their data, it will save
five hours of frustration."
--
David Biddulph

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

As my article states, you need the summary page. You cannot spread Y values
for a series across multiple sheets. I know you're looking for just that,
you've stated it twice, and it won't happen.

A summary sheet may seem like a problem, but it's nice to get your data in a
place where you can see it all at once. The extra sheet will not cost any
additional money or hard drive space, either.

- Jon
-------