Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Chart sheet labels in Excel 2007

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

David

This happens to me as well. I've made a half attempt to get an answer from
Microsoft tech support, but with no luck.

I wonder if it might occur in workbooks where data is retrieved from an
outside source. Has that been your experience?

Geoff

"David" wrote:

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have many linked workbooks but never bring in data from outside EXCEL. I
have not been able to determine what triggers the sheet tabs to revert to the
generic labels.
--
David

"David" wrote:

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I don't know if you saw it but another person with the same problem filed a
post on the 19th. Perhaps we should form a group to compare notes and see if
we can figure this out. Were your problem workbooks created in an earlier
version of Excel?

"David" wrote:

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for your input. I read the posts on the same problem that started on
10/19. Someone there has filed a report with Microsoft.
To answer your question--yes ,these workbooks and charts were originally
created with Excel 97.
--
David

"David" wrote:

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

David

I thought you might find the following interesting:
This is a reply to my post on this subject earlier this year; as you can
see, my problem workbooks were also created in an earlier version.

Subject: Chart page renaming is not sticking 3/1/2008 8:00 AM PST
By: Michael In: microsoft.public.excel.charting
I'm having the same problem. I created the workbook from scratch to make
sure it wasn't a conversion problem and it still exists. It's been there
since the beta and I reported it then.

"Tschurin" wrote:
I have some workbooks that had been Excel 2000 and are now Excel 2007. They
seem to work fine but at the time the 2000 workbooks were saved as 2007
workbooks, many of the chart names were converted to numbers, e.g., "chart
18" "chart 41". I have tried to rename the charts to indicate their subject
matter and the new names initiailly take. But once the workbook is reopened,
after having been saved and closed, the new names have disappeared and the
number names have reappeared. Can anyone explain to me what is going on and
what I can do about it?

"David" wrote:

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have had this same problem. The problem charts were created in Excel 2007
and are not from an updated version of excel. I also have data imported from
other excel sheets although no data from outside of excel. The charts are
saved as macro enabled although I am not running any macros.

"David" wrote:

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

David and Madrugador

I think it's clear that Microsoft has known there is a problem, even if not
affecting a lot of people, for some time. Rather than trying to do what they
should have done [uncovering the cause of the problem], do you think that it
might be a better use of our time if we figure out the most pain-free way to
update/recreate these files so that Excel treats them as workbooks created in
Excel 2007, rather than an earlier version?

Geoff

"David" wrote:

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I created the worksheets in Excel 2007 and encountered the problem. I do
have links to other worksheets. Is it possible that the formats of the other
sheets is "imported" to the problem sheet?

"David" wrote:

The names on invididual chart sheets sometimes revert to generic names Chart
1, Chart 2, etc. This never happened with Excel 97. What causes the sheet
name to change? How can I prevent this from happening?
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Our office just updated to 2007, and the three people I work with and I are
having the same problem. We use Excel all the time every day, and we have a
lot of macros built around our data and graphing that uses the chart names to
navigate, and this is killing us!

If anyone get any clearificationor figure out how to fix this, please let us
all know.

Thanks!