Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Chart Help

Does anyone know how to combine a line bar bar graph with a stacked bar graph?

Basically the graph would have 4 bars and then the 5th bar would be a
stacked bar while the rest of the bars remain solid. Here is a link to a
picture I posted on the UK forums. So far everyone has told me it is
impossible, but I don't believe it is.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...092#post721092

Please Help!!

I have tried everything I could think of, but I ended up using microsoft
expression design.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Clustered-Stacked Column Charts
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...column-charts/

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Sound Into Words" <Sound Into wrote in
message ...
Does anyone know how to combine a line bar bar graph with a stacked bar
graph?

Basically the graph would have 4 bars and then the 5th bar would be a
stacked bar while the rest of the bars remain solid. Here is a link to a
picture I posted on the UK forums. So far everyone has told me it is
impossible, but I don't believe it is.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...092#post721092

Please Help!!

I have tried everything I could think of, but I ended up using microsoft
expression design.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Not impossible,

Look at Jon Peltier's tutorial at
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...sterStack.html

and download my little sample at
http://www.edferrero.com/content/ClusterAndStack.xlsx

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,

Your graph is close to what I'm looking for but every column in your graph
is a stacked bar graph. I'm looking for 3 solid columns and 1 Stacked column.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Ed

Thanks for the reply.

The Graph I'm looking for is kind of like Jon's graph except I'm looking for
3 solid columns and 1 stacked column. All of Jon's columns are stacked on
his graph

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

Not impossible,

Look at Jon Peltier's tutorial at
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...sterStack.html

and download my little sample at
http://www.edferrero.com/content/ClusterAndStack.xlsx

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In article ,
Sound Into Words wrote:

Jon,

Your graph is close to what I'm looking for but every column in your graph
is a stacked bar graph. I'm looking for 3 solid columns and 1 Stacked
column.

Can you create a stacked bar graph and just enter zeros for the stacked
portion of the first 3 columns?

_dennis
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Sound Into Words said:
The Graph I'm looking for is kind of like Jon's graph except I'm looking for
3 solid columns and 1 stacked column. All of Jon's columns are stacked on
his graph

Yes, but have you noticed they're stacked with *different* clusters?

The basic insight that leads to being able to do these is that a "solid"
column is just a cluster of one, or a cluster in which every element but
one has the value *zero*. Once you grok that, it all becomes obvious.

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Del,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought about what you wrote, and that it might be able to work, but just
to get some clarification I will give you some variables:
1. y axies = "1-1000"
2. x axies = "Week 26 - Week 28" (3 series)
The first series would contain 4 solid columns(or a range between "1-1000")
and one stacked column which would make of 3 different ranges(colors) of
"1-1000" The other 2 series would be the same but just a different set of
data.

So would this scenario work with the "Stacked Cluster Graph" This would be
part of a report that is ran once a week.

Sound Into Words said:
The Graph I'm looking for is kind of like Jon's graph except I'm looking for
3 solid columns and 1 stacked column. All of Jon's columns are stacked on
his graph

Yes, but have you noticed they're stacked with *different* clusters?

The basic insight that leads to being able to do these is that a "solid"
column is just a cluster of one, or a cluster in which every element but
one has the value *zero*. Once you grok that, it all becomes obvious.

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Each row corresponds to a column position. For the column positions that are
a solid column, the other columns should be blank or zero. For the column
positions where you have stacks, then you have more than one nonzero entry.
It should be arranged something like this:

Solid 1 Solid 2 Solid 3 Stack 1 Stack 2 Stack 3
Solid 1 [data]
Solid 2 [data]
Solid 3 [data]
Stacked [data] [data] [data]