Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Help with graph from exported information

I am trying to graph information from a spreadsheet that has been exported
from another program (a time-recording program).

It basically puts the information like this:

matter 1 - 5
matter 2 - 10
matter 3 - 2
matter 2 - 5
matter 2 - 10
etc
etc

I want to create a graph that charts the TOTAL of all matter one, etc.

I can't figure out how :(

Am using Excel 2007.

Thank you
Susan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Try this approach:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...idateData.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"susann" wrote in message
I am trying to graph information from a spreadsheet that has been exported
from another program (a time-recording program).

It basically puts the information like this:

matter 1 - 5
matter 2 - 10
matter 3 - 2
matter 2 - 5
matter 2 - 10
etc
etc

I want to create a graph that charts the TOTAL of all matter one, etc.

I can't figure out how :(

Am using Excel 2007.

Thank you
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for the link Jon but I can't seem to get it to work. The examples
show just one column of data

More Likely
Unchanged
Less Likely
etc

and uses sums/pivot tables to count how many times these appear.

However my data is in 2 columns and I need to add the totals for each
category. I am trying to add up my time spent on certain matters throughout
the week that I have recorded onto a timesheet (in another program). For
example:

Training 5
Support 10
Training 2
Admin Tasks 2
Support 5
etc

Any help appreciated :)
Cheers
Susan

"susann" wrote in message
I am trying to graph information from a spreadsheet that has been exported
from another program (a time-recording program).

It basically puts the information like this:

matter 1 - 5
matter 2 - 10
matter 3 - 2
matter 2 - 5
matter 2 - 10
etc
etc

I want to create a graph that charts the TOTAL of all matter one, etc.

I can't figure out how :(

Am using Excel 2007.

Thank you
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If the columns are not labeled, head the first with Category and the second
with Count. Create a pivot table. Drag the Category field to the Rows area,
and the Count field to the Data area, and make sure it gives you a Sum of
Count label for the totals.

- Jon
-------