-   -   Help with graph from exported information (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/191342-help-graph-exported-information.html)

susann

Help with graph from exported information

I am trying to graph information from a spreadsheet that has been exported
from another program (a time-recording program).

It basically puts the information like this:

matter 1 - 5
matter 2 - 10
matter 3 - 2
matter 2 - 5
matter 2 - 10
etc
etc

I want to create a graph that charts the TOTAL of all matter one, etc.

I can't figure out how :(

Am using Excel 2007.

Thank you
Susan

Jon Peltier

Help with graph from exported information

Try this approach:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...idateData.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"susann" wrote in message
I am trying to graph information from a spreadsheet that has been exported
from another program (a time-recording program).

It basically puts the information like this:

matter 1 - 5
matter 2 - 10
matter 3 - 2
matter 2 - 5
matter 2 - 10
etc
etc

I want to create a graph that charts the TOTAL of all matter one, etc.

I can't figure out how :(

Am using Excel 2007.

Thank you
Susan

susann

Help with graph from exported information

Thanks for the link Jon but I can't seem to get it to work. The examples
show just one column of data

More Likely
Unchanged
Less Likely
etc

and uses sums/pivot tables to count how many times these appear.

However my data is in 2 columns and I need to add the totals for each
category. I am trying to add up my time spent on certain matters throughout
the week that I have recorded onto a timesheet (in another program). For
example:

Training 5
Support 10
Training 2
Admin Tasks 2
Support 5
etc

Any help appreciated :)
Cheers
Susan

"susann" wrote in message
I am trying to graph information from a spreadsheet that has been exported
from another program (a time-recording program).

It basically puts the information like this:

matter 1 - 5
matter 2 - 10
matter 3 - 2
matter 2 - 5
matter 2 - 10
etc
etc

I want to create a graph that charts the TOTAL of all matter one, etc.

I can't figure out how :(

Am using Excel 2007.

Thank you
Susan

Jon Peltier

Help with graph from exported information

If the columns are not labeled, head the first with Category and the second
with Count. Create a pivot table. Drag the Category field to the Rows area,
and the Count field to the Data area, and make sure it gives you a Sum of
Count label for the totals.

- Jon
-------