Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Format Axis Alignment

I'm using office 2007 and in the vertical (category) axis I need to see a
persons full name ie. Joe Smith. Right now it's only showing the first name
because it's in the first column. If I expand the chart and make it huge it
shows the first and last name. I know one way to fix the problem is to use
the CONCATENATE function to put both first and last together into one cell
but there are thousands of entries I have like this. On the Format Axis
Option in the Alignment section is there a way to modify the Autofit or
Internal margin? right now it's grayed out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi M,

Where are you getting the first and last names from? two columns of cells?
Suppose that the first names are in A1:A1000 and the last names in B1:B1000,
then in C1 enter the formula =A1&" "&B1. Then drag the fill handle down to
copy the formula. Use colum C in your chart.
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Kenyon_M" wrote:

I'm using office 2007 and in the vertical (category) axis I need to see a
persons full name ie. Joe Smith. Right now it's only showing the first name
because it's in the first column. If I expand the chart and make it huge it
shows the first and last name. I know one way to fix the problem is to use
the CONCATENATE function to put both first and last together into one cell
but there are thousands of entries I have like this. On the Format Axis
Option in the Alignment section is there a way to modify the Autofit or
Internal margin? right now it's grayed out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you for your help. That function will also help, but I was wondering
is there a way to extend the vertical axis using the auto fit or Internal
Margin that is grayed out. If so how? Also, is there a reason that the
Autofit and Internal margin are grayed out in the Alignment segment of Format
Axis?

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Kenyon_M

"Kenyon_M" wrote:

I'm using office 2007 and in the vertical (category) axis I need to see a
persons full name ie. Joe Smith. Right now it's only showing the first name
because it's in the first column. If I expand the chart and make it huge it
shows the first and last name. I know one way to fix the problem is to use
the CONCATENATE function to put both first and last together into one cell
but there are thousands of entries I have like this. On the Format Axis
Option in the Alignment section is there a way to modify the Autofit or
Internal margin? right now it's grayed out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Kenyon,

The dialog box is a general one, many of the options do not apply to the
chart or a portion of the chart such as the category axis labels. Some of
these options apply to text boxes, where there are interal margins and
autofit make sense.
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire