Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default xy scatter - dates off

I have an xy scatter chart, which is plotting info for 3 different series.
My end date is 2006, yet the X axis shows an end date of 2008. I have not
plotted any data for 2007, or 2008. The years appear on my x axis with no
info plotted on the y axis.

Any ideas how to adjust to reflect just up to the actual date of 2006?

Thanks,
Alicia
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I saw your other post. Could you paste a sample of the data for the three
series?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Alicia" wrote in message
I have an xy scatter chart, which is plotting info for 3 different series.
My end date is 2006, yet the X axis shows an end date of 2008. I have not
plotted any data for 2007, or 2008. The years appear on my x axis with no
info plotted on the y axis.

Any ideas how to adjust to reflect just up to the actual date of 2006?

Thanks,
Alicia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

For example:

List A
12/1/2001 $280,000
3/1/2002 $286,000
6/3/2002 $300,000
3/5/2003 $660,000
6/21/2003 $759,000
12/31/2003 $119,000
12/31/2004 $680,000
6/1/2007 $1,065,778
9/30/2007 $2,037,149

List B
12/31/2001 $12,275,304
5/10/2003 $15,356,708
10/11/2003 $10,115,171
12/31/2004 $14,355,070
7/1/2005 $10,003,999
8/7/2005 $15,000,000
7/6/2007 $13,325,699

List C
12/31/2002 $6,000,000
5/15/2003 $6,000,000
11/15/2003 $6,000,000
12/31/2004 $6,000,000
7/4/2005 $6,000,000
8/7/2005 $6,000,000
7/24/2007 $6,000,000

Although all 3 lists end at the year 2007, my chart shows through 2009.

Thanks for your help.

"Alicia" wrote in message
I have an xy scatter chart, which is plotting info for 3 different series.
My end date is 2006, yet the X axis shows an end date of 2008. I have not
plotted any data for 2007, or 2008. The years appear on my x axis with no
info plotted on the y axis.

Any ideas how to adjust to reflect just up to the actual date of 2006?

Thanks,
Alicia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Select the data for List A, create an XY chart.
Copy the data for List B, select the chart, use Paste Special to add the
data as a new series.
Copy the data for List C, select the chart, use Paste Special to add the
data as a new series.

My default X axis goes from 4/19/01 to 2/22/08, which basically gives a
small margin below and above the first and last points. The scale of the
axis can be readily changed.

If you can't fix your problem by adjusting the X axis scale, then you should
post back with a clear statement: what you want to happen, what you've
tried, how you expected it to work, and how it actually worked.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Alicia" wrote in message
For example:

List A
12/1/2001 $280,000
3/1/2002 $286,000
6/3/2002 $300,000
3/5/2003 $660,000
6/21/2003 $759,000
12/31/2003 $119,000
12/31/2004 $680,000
6/1/2007 $1,065,778
9/30/2007 $2,037,149

List B
12/31/2001 $12,275,304
5/10/2003 $15,356,708
10/11/2003 $10,115,171
12/31/2004 $14,355,070
7/1/2005 $10,003,999
8/7/2005 $15,000,000
7/6/2007 $13,325,699

List C

"Alicia" wrote in message
I have an xy scatter chart, which is plotting info for 3 different
series.
My end date is 2006, yet the X axis shows an end date of 2008. I have
not
plotted any data for 2007, or 2008. The years appear on my x axis with
no
info plotted on the y axis.

Any ideas how to adjust to reflect just up to the actual date of 2006?

Thanks,
Alicia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Alicia said:

Although all 3 lists end at the year 2007, my chart shows through 2009.

On pure auto scatter chart, I can't get it to go further than late 2008.
If you set the major unit of the X axis to 730.5 (two average years) it
decides to extend the upper limit all the way to 2009, but if you're
controlling the scale enough to set the major unit by hand, you know
enough to set the upper limit by hand. If you don't know, look up
"Format Axis" in the help.

If you leave the upper limit on Auto, it's just going to choose its own
value, and sometimes it chooses a value you think is too much extra.
Just change it if you don't like it.

Why didn't you get this problem with line charts? Because line charts
don't have a Value scale, they just have a list of whatever categories
you instruct it to have. This is sort of true even when the scale is a
"Time-scale". That's just a kludged sort of category list intended to
mimic a value scale.

--
Del Cotter