Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default color coding different data series

Hello! I have about 8 spreadsheets of data that I need to compile into one
chart. However, I need to be able to look at the chart and see which
spreadsheet a data point is from. Is there a quick way to color code a group
of data points from one spreadsheet? I know I could change the color
individually, but with over 50 data points, I'd rather not if I don't have
to! Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If I undserstand you correctly all you need to do is right click on one of
the data points and select Format Data Series. You can then set the colour,
line weight, pattern etc. as you want.
Repeat for all eight data series. I don't know if there is a limit to how
many differently formatted series you can have on one chart - I'm sure older
and wiser eads on this forum will be able to tell you.

ATB

Dave

"Adri S." wrote:

Hello! I have about 8 spreadsheets of data that I need to compile into one
chart. However, I need to be able to look at the chart and see which
spreadsheet a data point is from. Is there a quick way to color code a group
of data points from one spreadsheet? I know I could change the color
individually, but with over 50 data points, I'd rather not if I don't have
to! Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I pasted all of the data from the various spreadsheets into one sheet, and
then I created the chart, so Excel isn't reading the data series as coming
from different sources. Are my hands tied with this method?

"Adri S." wrote:

Hello! I have about 8 spreadsheets of data that I need to compile into one
chart. However, I need to be able to look at the chart and see which
spreadsheet a data point is from. Is there a quick way to color code a group
of data points from one spreadsheet? I know I could change the color
individually, but with over 50 data points, I'd rather not if I don't have
to! Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This will depend on what sort of chart you are trying to create. If it is
something simple like a bar than you can define teh various bars separately
and tso format them separately. This probably applies to other chart types as
well, but I haven't tried with most of them.

Take a look at Jon Peltiers site, especially the combinatin charts:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html

Dave

"Adri S." wrote:

Hello! I have about 8 spreadsheets of data that I need to compile into one
chart. However, I need to be able to look at the chart and see which
spreadsheet a data point is from. Is there a quick way to color code a group
of data points from one spreadsheet? I know I could change the color
individually, but with over 50 data points, I'd rather not if I don't have
to! Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

So long as you've got different data series, it doesn't matter that they're
all from the same sheet.
If you added all the points to your chart as one series, then you'll need to
split them to 8 separate series.
--
David Biddulph