Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Gantt Charts with a Slight Twist

Hi,

I've seen some examples of creating gantt charts by massaging the data
provided to chart objects. I'm trying to create the following gantt
chart:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2505768/Gantt-Chart2

The actual data I have may have varied delays in between activities.
Each delays are different for each project. There may also be breaks
within an activity. The problem with my current approach is that these
are unbounded and representing them as a cell based sparse matrix as I
have done in that link is inefficient. Has anyone done something
similar or have an example where an efficient sparse matrix
representation is passed to the the chart generating code?

Cheers,
-Shu
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

having EXACT the same problem,

have you some new insights in the meantime ?

at the moment i'm drawing the Excel-sheet field by field resp. range by
range "by hand" and replacing that with a chart should be faster ...

Why oh why there is no sample like that you've done or even better like that
the one shown in John Walkenbach book (Excel charts) on page 258 / Figure
8-18 but with the bars sideways ...

What a pity. ...

Also desperately waiting ...

best regards from germany

Klaus Oberdalhoff

midori wrote:
Hi,

I've seen some examples of creating gantt charts by massaging the data
provided to chart objects. I'm trying to create the following gantt
chart:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2505768/Gantt-Chart2

The actual data I have may have varied delays in between activities.
Each delays are different for each project. There may also be breaks
within an activity. The problem with my current approach is that these
are unbounded and representing them as a cell based sparse matrix as I
have done in that link is inefficient. Has anyone done something
similar or have an example where an efficient sparse matrix
representation is passed to the the chart generating code?

Cheers,
-Shu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In my example

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

I show how to make a two-colored bar to indicate percent complete. This
multiple bar approach can be extended as much as you want. The difficulty is
in keeping track of which color goes where, which color must be duplicated,
where you have extra gaps, etc.

Excel is pretty good at making relatively simple Gantt charts, if you don't
mind manipulating the data a bit. If you need something as complicated as
you describe, maybe you need a dedicated project management software
package. Or at least a good number of hours of a dedicated Excel developer's
time.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP