Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default displaying totals in a pivot chart

I want to display the grand total from a pivot table in a pivot chart. In a
static chart I normaly just reference the cell with the total to be displayed
as the chart title. How can I do this with a pivot chart.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Josh,

If you are plotting a line chart then change the chart type to stacked line.
One at a time select each of the lines below the top one (it represents the
total) and format their line to None.

If you are plotting a column chart change it to a stacked column. Make all
the series the same color. Set the borders for each of the series to None.

In both cases you can turn off the Legend.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Josh Smith" <Josh wrote in message
I want to display the grand total from a pivot table in a pivot chart. In
static chart I normaly just reference the cell with the total to be
displayed
as the chart title. How can I do this with a pivot chart.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In a blank cell in the workbook, type an equal sign, then click on the
grand total cell in the pivot table. Unless you've changed the default
settings, this should create a GETPIVOTDATA formula, such as:
=GETPIVOTDATA("Total",$A$3)
Format the cell as you want it to appear on the chart.

Next, select the pivot chart and type an equal sign. You'll see it in
the formula bar as you type.
Then, click on the cell with the GETPIVOTDATA formula, and press Enter

The grand total will appear in a text box in the centre of the pivot
chart. Drag it to the position you want it displayed, and format it.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures