Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do 1 bar & 2 line series over the correct date?

I've selected my x-axis as the date (1/1/2007 to 12/31/07), which I chose
from a column in my excel spreadsheet. I have rainfall data plotted as a bar
graph. I need to plot data from groundwater monitoring wells on the same
graph as a line. This is easy enough for the wells that correctly collected
data through the entire year, but I have 1 well that collected data from
1/1/07 to 2/24/07, went haywire for a while, then collected from 3/26/07 to
7/9/07 before it died. (in my other graphs, I have my well data displayed as
a line plotted on a secondary Y-axis.)

When I tried to plot the well data as 1 line, it didn't show the gap between
2/24 & 3/26. When I tried (several times) to plot 2 lines it starts both
lines at the far left of the graph (i.e. 1/1/07). I need my second line to
display correctly over the x-axis, beginning at 3/26.

(I'm using MS Office 2007)

Thanks for any help.

(PS, I read some other postings & thought an XY graph might work, but when I
tried that, I didn't see my data plotted anywhere).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Use one column of dates for all data. Put rainfall in the first data column
and the groundwater in the next. Leave a range of blank cells corresponding
to dates where the data collection went awry. By default, Excel plots a gap
for blank cells in a line chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP