Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I a rotate my square radar chart (square-diamond)?

Hi There Helpful People

I need to rotate (the whole of my) my square-shaped 'radar' chart 45degrees
so that it is diamond-shaped. At the moment the lines of the axes are
horizontal and vertical and make a cross-shape (not unlike a + shape) and I
need the lines to be on the diagonal (making a X shape).

The chart doesn't have a green dot which I could use to rotate the whole
chart.
What should I do? Is this possible?

I'm using Microsoft Excel 2003, part of the Microsoft Office Professional
Edition.

Many thanks in advance

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I a rotate my square radar chart (square-diamond)?

How to Rotate a Square-Shaped Radar Chart to a Diamond Shape in Microsoft Excel 2003
  1. Select the radar chart by clicking on it once.
  2. Go to the "Format" menu and click on "Selected Chart Area" and then "Format Chart Area."
  3. In the "Format Chart Area" dialog box, click on the "Size" tab.
  4. Under "Rotation," enter "45" in the "X" field.
  5. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

If you need to adjust the rotation angle, simply go back to the "Format Chart Area" dialog box and change the value in the "X" field.

Example of an Excel formula:
Code:
=SUM(A1:A10)
Example of Visual Basic code:
Formula:
Sub Macro1()

'Insert your macro code here
End Sub
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
"Becs \"I Know Nathing\"" said:
I need to rotate (the whole of my) my square-shaped 'radar' chart 45degrees
so that it is diamond-shaped. At the moment the lines of the axes are
horizontal and vertical and make a cross-shape (not unlike a + shape) and I
need the lines to be on the diagonal (making a X shape).

The chart doesn't have a green dot which I could use to rotate the whole
chart.

Annoying, isn't it? We've discussed this recently, and I mentioned that
Radar chart should have a control similar to the one provided for Pie
charts, but it doesn't.

I think you're just going to have to turn your table into eight values
instead of four, with the extra four values being an interpolation of
the four original values. So it becomes an "octagonal" radar chart, but
the octagon nature of it is hidden because you're carefully calculating
the intermediate values so that they lie on a straight line. I think
AVERAGE() should work okay.

Or, you could use a graphics program to rotate the picture through 22.5°

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I think copying the chart as a picture and pasting it, followed by rotation
by 45 degrees is the way to go. Eight values (8 spokes) will result in an
octagonal radar chart, with 8 spokes instead of 4. If spokes 1 and 3 have
equal values of a, spoke 2 needs a value of a/sqrt(2) so the three are
collinear, and the relationship for spoke 2's value is more complex if
spokes 1 and 3 have different values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Becs \"I Know Nathing\"" said:
[...]

NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This isn’t the most elegant solution, but a little bit of trigonometry is needed for the calculations. Maybe someone can simplify it more. This worked for my four dimensional radar plot that I converted to eight dimensions to rotate it 45 degrees. If you have the original values in cells B2 and B4 and want to calculate what B3 is, use this formula:

=(B2*B4)/(SQRT(B2^2+B4^2)*(SIN((PI()/180)*(135-DEGREES(ASIN(B4/SQRT((B2^2) + (B4^2))))))))

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng