Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Date count

I have a spreadsheet with dates in the cells.
I want to create a formula that looks at column A and column B, if they are
blank... then look at column C and if it is blank count it as 1. I tried
something like this.. but it didn't give me the answer I was looking for!

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A7&B7=" "),(COUNTA(C7,1)))
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It seems like if A7:B7 are blank....count that as 1

If that's true, try this:
=--(COUNTA(A7:C7)=0)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"tkacoo" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with dates in the cells.
I want to create a formula that looks at column A and column B, if they
are
blank... then look at column C and if it is blank count it as 1. I tried
something like this.. but it didn't give me the answer I was looking for!

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A7&B7=" "),(COUNTA(C7,1)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I *meant* to say:
"It seems like if A7:C7 are blank....count that as 1"
not A7:B7

--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"tkacoo" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with dates in the cells.
I want to create a formula that looks at column A and column B, if they
are
blank... then look at column C and if it is blank count it as 1. I tried
something like this.. but it didn't give me the answer I was looking for!

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A7&B7=" "),(COUNTA(C7,1)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you!
That worked great!
Yall make it seem so simple!
What about a formula that looks at B and C, if they are blank, then looks
and A and if column A has a date count it as 1.

"tkacoo" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with dates in the cells.
I want to create a formula that looks at column A and column B, if they
are
blank... then look at column C and if it is blank count it as 1. I tried
something like this.. but it didn't give me the answer I was looking for!

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A7&B7=" "),(COUNTA(C7,1)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

OK...counting "dates" is harder than you might think.
To Excel, each date is just a number representing the
number of days that date is from 31-DEC-1899.

01-JAN-1900 is 1
11-MAR-2008 is 39,518

However, Excel can conveniently format those numbers
properly so they make sense to humans.

How about if we just test if Col_A is numeric if B:C is blank.
Is that close enough?
=IF(COUNTA(B7:C7),0,--ISNUMBER(A7))

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"tkacoo" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with dates in the cells.
I want to create a formula that looks at column A and column B, if
they
are
blank... then look at column C and if it is blank count it as 1. I
tried
something like this.. but it didn't give me the answer I was looking
for!

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A7&B7=" "),(COUNTA(C7,1)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Glad to help.

Regards,

Ron