Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default No Graph Visible

I am in the middle (60%) done rolling out Dell 430 or Dell 630 laptops to
2,500 users.

Some, not all when they create a graph do not see anything:-

Windows Vista, Office 2007

Create a Graph, F11 or Full screen the screen is all blue (the background
colour)

This seems to happen when users undock their laptops from a docking station
not then connected.

Any help appreciated.

Roger Knowles
MOS Master Office 97-2003
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In at least one case I've heard of, this problem was fixed when a printer
was installed. Apparently Excel needs the printer driver to help render the
full page chart.

Since you're just now rolling out the computers, this seems to make sense.
Many of the users may not have tried printing yet, so they would not be
assured of having a printer. If there are different hardware configurations
when the laptops are undocked (i.e., specifically no printer installed when
undocked), this explains the dual behavior. Install any generic printer
driver.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Roger Knowles" wrote in message
9.145...
I am in the middle (60%) done rolling out Dell 430 or Dell 630 laptops to
2,500 users.

Some, not all when they create a graph do not see anything:-

Windows Vista, Office 2007

Create a Graph, F11 or Full screen the screen is all blue (the background
colour)

This seems to happen when users undock their laptops from a docking
station
not then connected.

Any help appreciated.

Roger Knowles
MOS Master Office 97-2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,

Thanks for the reply, I like the idea of no printer being installed,
however I can guarantee you they are, as part of migration, everyone has
the MS Office XPS, a PDF Printer driver, and at least 2 network printers
close to the users. I can also confirm that users would have printed to
these printers when the error occurs.

I like the idea though, as I have heard that some Vista drivers may not
be fully compatible with the Printer, although I am unsure where this
can effect the chart.

If you have any other cases please let me know.

Thanks for the Reply...

Roger Knowles

"Jon Peltier" wrote in
:

In at least one case I've heard of, this problem was fixed when a
printer was installed. Apparently Excel needs the printer driver to
help render the full page chart.

Since you're just now rolling out the computers, this seems to make
sense. Many of the users may not have tried printing yet, so they
would not be assured of having a printer. If there are different
hardware configurations when the laptops are undocked (i.e.,
specifically no printer installed when undocked), this explains the
dual behavior. Install any generic printer driver.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I had exactly the same problem and I decided to see if it was something to do
with the printers after I read this post. I changed my Default printer,
which was originally a network printer that I am not always connected to, to
the XPS Writer and the problem disappeared. Who would've known?