Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I show slope on a chart?

I have a simple plot with two points only, and added a trendline which fits
with the plotted line. I really need to show the slope of the trend line on
the plot. But I dont want to show the equation or anything else.

I am using a plot which should calculated and plot by itself with the change
of inputs in the table(somewhere in the page), and need to show that slope
value on the plot too.

I can calculate slope in a cell somewhere on the sheet. Is there any way to
show the value (calculated somwhere on the sheet) on the plot beside my
plotted line.

Either way would work. But I prefer to do it from the trendline.
please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Use the text label provided by the Trendline equation. Once applied you can
then link it to a cell.
select the label and then in the formula bar type = and then click the
required cell. This will
create the required cell reference.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
ft.com wrote in message
I have a simple plot with two points only, and added a trendline which fits
with the plotted line. I really need to show the slope of the trend line
on
the plot. But I dont want to show the equation or anything else.

I am using a plot which should calculated and plot by itself with the
change
of inputs in the table(somewhere in the page), and need to show that slope
value on the plot too.

I can calculate slope in a cell somewhere on the sheet. Is there any way
show the value (calculated somwhere on the sheet) on the plot beside my
plotted line.

Either way would work. But I prefer to do it from the trendline.
please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

No, It didnt work,
I tried typing = then a cell destination.
it just showed me what I typed. It did not take the vales from the cell.

or IF I select the equation level and go to formula bar, the equation level
just disappears.

Is there any other way to get it to work ??

Thanks in advance

ft.com wrote in message
I have a simple plot with two points only, and added a trendline which fits
with the plotted line. I really need to show the slope of the trend line
on
the plot. But I dont want to show the equation or anything else.

I am using a plot which should calculated and plot by itself with the
change
of inputs in the table(somewhere in the page), and need to show that slope
value on the plot too.

I can calculate slope in a cell somewhere on the sheet. Is there any way
show the value (calculated somwhere on the sheet) on the plot beside my
plotted line.

Either way would work. But I prefer to do it from the trendline.
please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Have a look here for details.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

I have tried it and it does work.

Cheers
Andy

soft.com wrote in message

I have a simple plot with two points only, and added a trendline which fits
with the plotted line. I really need to show the slope of the trend line
on
the plot. But I dont want to show the equation or anything else.

I am using a plot which should calculated and plot by itself with the
change
of inputs in the table(somewhere in the page), and need to show that slope
value on the plot too.

I can calculate slope in a cell somewhere on the sheet. Is there any way
show the value (calculated somwhere on the sheet) on the plot beside my
plotted line.

Either way would work. But I prefer to do it from the trendline.
please help.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hey, that's a very neat trick Andy, thank you!!

For the benefit of the OP I'll explain what I did.

Data setup:
X values in A1:A5
Y values in B1:B5
In D7 put =SLOPE(B1:B5,A1:A5)
In E7 put ="Slope = "&D7

Then click on the equation in the chart and the handles
will show. Then I put this in the formula bar =Sheet1!$E$7
and hit enter. Jobs done!

I then took it further and added this
In D8 put =INTERCEPT(B1:B5,A1:A5)

Then changed E7 to this
="Gradient = "&D7&CHAR(10)&"Y Intercept = "&D8
Which is much neater than the standard equation.

I took it further again and put this in E7
="Trendline equation is y = mx+c where"&CHAR(10)&"m = "&
SLOPE(B1:B5,A1:A5)&CHAR(10)&"c = "&INTERCEPT(B1:B5,A1:A5)

Which is interesting but not very practical, far better to
put the formalae in other cells then just reference
those cells like this,
="Trendline equation is y = mx+c where"&CHAR(10)&"m = "&D7&CHAR(10)&"c =
"&D8

Once again thank you Andy, up until now I've been using
a text box to display this, which works but is manual and as
such I sometimes forget to change the text box after a source
data change.

Regards
Martin

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

Use the text label provided by the Trendline equation. Once applied you
can then link it to a cell.
select the label and then in the formula bar type = and then click the
required cell. This will
create the required cell reference.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Need Help on axis problem in a chart"
osoft.com wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Thanks for posting :)

Cheers
Andy

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

Use the text label provided by the Trendline equation. Once applied you
can then link it to a cell.
select the label and then in the formula bar type = and then click the
required cell. This will
create the required cell reference.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Need Help on axis problem in a chart"
rosoft.com wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you only have two points, why bother with a trendline? Format the series
to show a line connecting the markers, then use Andy's and Martin's
suggestions to apply a label to one endpoint with the slope.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions