Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Graphing 20 months of data into 2 lines

I currently have 30 months of data from Apr 2006 to Dec 2007 arranged in
columns B to V.

I want to have a line graph which shows Jan to Dec and compares two years,
that is, last year would be Apr 06 to Mar 07 as 1 line and current year would
be Apr 07 to Dec 2007. When I add Jan 2008, the line will automatically add
the new month of data.

I want to use my current data without manipulating the data into 1 column
for Apr06 to Mar 07 and so on. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Forest,

First up Apr 2006 to Dec2007 is 20 months not 30.

Secondly you say,
I want to use my current data without manipulating the data into 1 column
for Apr06 to Mar 07 and so on. Is this possible?

Why? What is wrong with manipulating your raw data into something
usable and then plotting your chart from there. It's not hard to create
formulas that assess your raw data the way you want.

Please post more detail of what you have and what you are trying to achieve.

Regards
Martin

"forest8" wrote in message
I currently have 30 months of data from Apr 2006 to Dec 2007 arranged in
columns B to V.

I want to have a line graph which shows Jan to Dec and compares two years,
that is, last year would be Apr 06 to Mar 07 as 1 line and current year
would
be Apr 07 to Dec 2007. When I add Jan 2008, the line will automatically
add
the new month of data.

I want to use my current data without manipulating the data into 1 column
for Apr06 to Mar 07 and so on. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The chart grows every month and eventually may contain at least 5 years of
data. As well it contains several hundred rows with categories. I want to
be able to choose which categories to graph.

"forest8" wrote in message
I currently have 30 months of data from Apr 2006 to Dec 2007 arranged in
columns B to V.

I want to have a line graph which shows Jan to Dec and compares two years,
that is, last year would be Apr 06 to Mar 07 as 1 line and current year
would
be Apr 07 to Dec 2007. When I add Jan 2008, the line will automatically
add
the new month of data.

I want to use my current data without manipulating the data into 1 column
for Apr06 to Mar 07 and so on. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You might find it helpful to use a pivot table to help with selection of the
categories. It can also help with splitting up by year.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions