Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Chart update according to high to low ranking

I have a chart that updates using a total line; values change daily and
update the totals; I would like the chart to display left to right/high to
low and I cannot sort the total/sum line to cause the chart to display this
way; is there a way I can do this? It is a column chart. Thank you!
--
Marv Lusk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Use an intermediate range for the chart source which links to the real data
but uses large() to provide the sorting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"MarvInBoise" wrote in message
I have a chart that updates using a total line; values change daily and
update the totals; I would like the chart to display left to right/high to
low and I cannot sort the total/sum line to cause the chart to display
this
way; is there a way I can do this? It is a column chart. Thank you!
--
Marv Lusk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you John, I appreciate the response; I have not used =large before and
have looked at help on the function; however, I'm not clear as to how you are
suggesting I use it to have it do the sort?? Thanks!
--
Marv Lusk
Boise Corporation

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Use an intermediate range for the chart source which links to the real data
but uses large() to provide the sorting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"MarvInBoise" wrote in message
I have a chart that updates using a total line; values change daily and
update the totals; I would like the chart to display left to right/high to
low and I cannot sort the total/sum line to cause the chart to display
this
way; is there a way I can do this? It is a column chart. Thank you!
--
Marv Lusk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Here's an example. I have a table in sheet1, range A3:G2003. Column A is a
set of labels, as is row 3, the data is in B4 thru G2003, and I want to sort
by column B. In Sheet2 I set up a table.

Sheet2!B3 has the formula =Sheet1!B3, and this is dragged across to fill
Sheet2!B3:G3. Sheet2!B4 has this formula:

=LARGE(Sheet1!$B$4:$B$2003,ROW()-ROW($B$3))

This is copied and pasted into Sheet2!B4:B2003. This sorts the column in
descending order. Sheet2!A4 has this formula:

=INDEX(Sheet1!A$4:A$2003,MATCH($B4,Sheet1!$B$4:$B$ 2003,0))

This is copied and pasted into Sheet2!A4:A2003 and Sheet2!C4:G2003

- Jon
-------