Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Radar Charts

Is it possible to control the position of the first point on a radar chart? I
need to essentially rotait the whole chart so that the first data point is
offset, rather than at 12o'clock.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

The radar chart does not allow this.

You can of course create your own radar looking chart using a XY Scatter,
multiple series to draw axes, gridlines and datalines plus some maths
knowledge in order to calculate all the positions.

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Curly Bloke" wrote in message
Is it possible to control the position of the first point on a radar
chart? I
need to essentially rotait the whole chart so that the first data point is
offset, rather than at 12o'clock.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Curly Bloke said:

Is it possible to control the position of the first point on a radar chart? I
need to essentially rotait the whole chart so that the first data point is
offset, rather than at 12o'clock.

I wanted to do this recently for a polar area graph (or "Nightingale
rose") I was designing, and I couldn't see any way to do it.

Your only option seems to be to move data between the top and bottom of
your chart ranges until the twelve o'clock position looks right.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Does Stephen Bullen's polar plot help?

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/SBXLPage.asp#Charting - FunChrt6.zip

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

Curly Bloke said:

Is it possible to control the position of the first point on a radar
chart? I
need to essentially rotait the whole chart so that the first data point is
offset, rather than at 12o'clock.

I wanted to do this recently for a polar area graph (or "Nightingale
rose") I was designing, and I couldn't see any way to do it.

Your only option seems to be to move data between the top and bottom of
your chart ranges until the twelve o'clock position looks right.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jon Peltier said:

"Del Cotter" wrote
Is it possible to control the position of the first point on a radar
chart? I need to essentially rotait the whole chart so that the first
data point is offset, rather than at 12o'clock.

I wanted to do this recently for a polar area graph (or "Nightingale
rose") I was designing, and I couldn't see any way to do it.

Your only option seems to be to move data between the top and bottom of
your chart ranges until the twelve o'clock position looks right.

Does Stephen Bullen's polar plot help?

That's an XY Chart, so I don't think it gets us any further along: what
we're looking for is the equivalent of the "Angle of first slice"
spinner in Pie Charts, and the XY Chart type is as devoid of such
built-in controls as the Radar Chart.

I'm happy enough to just move the data if it's necessary, but if Curly
needs a more dynamic solution, I'd suggest something involving INDEX and
MOD to cycle round the numbers:

=INDEX(original_range,1+MOD(cell-offset,COUNTA(original_range)))

where "offset" is a number you type into another cell. Every time you
advance "offset" by one, you advance the data one place clockwise around
the radar chart. "cell" is one of a range of numbers starting from 0 and
ending at one less than the count of rows in the original range. So...

offset 0

orig cells formula
a 0 a
b 1 b
c 2 c
d 3 d

but...

offset 1

orig cells formula
a 0 d
b 1 a
c 2 b
d 3 c

....and so on. You see why I just did it by hand instead :-)

Oh, one other thing. This just moves the radar chart points round by one
place, it doesn't move the twelve o'clock position, so it still doesn't
have the precision of the Pie Chart angle control.

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Del -

I was referring more to your Nightingale Rose project. I don't know about
the needs of the OP. A lot of applications that people use radar charts for
are better suited to parallel coordinates charts. Coincidentally, I just
wrote a tutorial on these:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ParallelCoord.html

- Jon
-------

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,

"Del Cotter" wrote