Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Update and sort chart from drop down change

Hello Excel gods, I come to your mountain seeking wisdom.

I have a bar chart with 12 categories that are referenced from a data table,
and that data is filterd from 3 drop downs. I have the chart set up now that
the chart data and graphics update as the drop downs are changed, but my boss
(aka. the man) wants the chart to display largest to smallest absolute
values. I can do all of that but what I don't know how to achieve is to make
it autosort descending just by me changing the drop down menu. Is there a way
to default the data table to automatically sort each time the drop down is
changed?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Could you set up an autofilter to handle the table of data? Then you could
filter out some records and sort the rest from the dropdown arrows on the
column headers.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"LDP Analyst" wrote in message
Hello Excel gods, I come to your mountain seeking wisdom.

I have a bar chart with 12 categories that are referenced from a data
table,
and that data is filterd from 3 drop downs. I have the chart set up now
that
the chart data and graphics update as the drop downs are changed, but my
boss
(aka. the man) wants the chart to display largest to smallest absolute
values. I can do all of that but what I don't know how to achieve is to
make
it autosort descending just by me changing the drop down menu. Is there a
way
to default the data table to automatically sort each time the drop down is
changed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks, I used an array of formulas from Jon Mansfield that indexed the
largest from the smallest value. The formula is listed below.

=INDEX(EG$78:EG$88,MATCH(LARGE($EG$78:$EG$88-ROW($EG$78:$EG$88)/10^10,ROWS($EF$78:EG78)),$EG$78:$EG$88-ROW($EG$78:$EG$88)/10^10,0))

I had to make it a single cell array by pressing ctrl-shift-enter at the
same time when the formula was entered.

See: "sort bar chart in excel" in excel chart discussions.