Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Format painting bars in a chart

I have a funky problem..not sure why. Let's say I create a bar chart, and
format each of the bars with a nice set of gradient colors, that varies based
upon the data series source. In other words, several different color bars,
on standard color per series.

Now, if I happen to "touch" the data behind the chart in any way (in my
case, a pivot table), the data element I change seems to go back to a
"default" color scheme. I still have other bars that look like I want, but
say, one month bar, for one data series, now looks different than the other
11 for the year. I want to to to "paint" the format from the good bars, back
onto the mucked up bar.

Any way you can think of to make this work?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Pivot charts are well known for resetting their formatting when the pivot
table is adjusted. It's a known issue, and Microsoft recommends recording a
macro when you reformat the chart, so you can rerun the macro as required.
Alternatively you could create a custom chart type and reapply it as needed:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...stomTypes.html

or make a regular chart from a pivot chart:

Also, I'd dispense with the fancy formatting, but I'm a voice in the
marketing wilderness.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"PatK" wrote in message
I have a funky problem..not sure why. Let's say I create a bar chart, and
format each of the bars with a nice set of gradient colors, that varies
based
upon the data series source. In other words, several different color
bars,
on standard color per series.

Now, if I happen to "touch" the data behind the chart in any way (in my
case, a pivot table), the data element I change seems to go back to a
"default" color scheme. I still have other bars that look like I want,
but
say, one month bar, for one data series, now looks different than the
other
11 for the year. I want to to to "paint" the format from the good bars,
back
onto the mucked up bar.

Any way you can think of to make this work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks, Jon...I will give it a shot. I must say, I am finding more
"oddities" and bugs with the 2007 suite, than I had hoped. Oh well...I guess
there is no looking back....

"PatK" wrote in message
I have a funky problem..not sure why. Let's say I create a bar chart, and
format each of the bars with a nice set of gradient colors, that varies
based
upon the data series source. In other words, several different color
bars,
on standard color per series.

Now, if I happen to "touch" the data behind the chart in any way (in my
case, a pivot table), the data element I change seems to go back to a
"default" color scheme. I still have other bars that look like I want,
but
say, one month bar, for one data series, now looks different than the
other
11 for the year. I want to to to "paint" the format from the good bars,
back
onto the mucked up bar.

Any way you can think of to make this work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The only real use I have for 2007 is to answer questions, both here and for
my clients. I still do my development in 2000-2003, and for my own use I
stick to 2003.

- Jon
-------