Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I produce a graph with 2 x-axes and 1 common y-axis?

I need to produce a graph with 2 x-axes heading towards opposite directions
but shares a common y-axis. May I know how I can do it on Excel 2003? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
MunCh said:

I need to produce a graph with 2 x-axes heading towards opposite directions
but shares a common y-axis.

I assume you mean a scatter graph (XY). Every scatter series you put on
the secondary y-axis goes on a secondary x-axis too, something you often
need to watch out for, because it means you have to be careful to make
the x-axes match.

In your case it's not the two x-axes you need to match, it's the two
y-axes. So as long as you do that, you're good to go.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Do I misunderstand what you're saying, Del? On my Excel 2003, by default
when selecting a secondary axis for a series, it will give a secondary Y
axis and leave the series on the primary X axis. I would have read your
second para as saying that you'd automatically get a secondary X-axis too.

It is, of course, possible subsequently to get the series to use a secondary
X axis, and go back to a primary Y axis if that's what you want.
--
David Biddulph

MunCh said:

I need to produce a graph with 2 x-axes heading towards opposite
directions
but shares a common y-axis.

I assume you mean a scatter graph (XY). Every scatter series you put on
the secondary y-axis goes on a secondary x-axis too, something you often
need to watch out for, because it means you have to be careful to make the
x-axes match.

In your case it's not the two x-axes you need to match, it's the two
y-axes. So as long as you do that, you're good to go.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I was a bit confused by Del's and David's posts, and thought you might be as
well.

You need at least two series in a chart to enable secondary axes. To get
secondary axes, double click one of the series, and on the Axis tab of the
Format Series dialog, choose Secondary. Most of the time, this provides only
a secondary Y axis. To control which axes appear in the chart, go to Chart
menu Chart Options, click on the Axes tab, and check the various primary
and secondary axes you need. For example, you would uncheck the secondary Y
axis box, but check the secondary X axis box. If only one X axis or one Y
axis is selected, all series use the selected axis, and the other doesn't
appear.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP