Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Comparing data from 2 monthly periods in 1 chart

I am trying to compare 7 coloumns of data (Housing Advice Stats) from May to
Oct 06 to the same set of data taken in May to Oct 07.

Ideally I'd like to lay one over the top of the other so I can see the
differences from one year to the next ie, have 2006 as a column chart and
2007 as a line chart.

Any ideas how I do this? So far the only charts I have created have been a
mess!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Assuming you have true dates as the X data, you could put the data into
different tables by year, and normalize the dates by subtracting December
31 of the prior year from all dates. Or you could keep the data in a single
table, create a pivot table with date in the rows area and the value in the
data area. Then group the dates field by year and by day. Then drag the
Years field button to the columns area.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Jamie" wrote in message
I am trying to compare 7 coloumns of data (Housing Advice Stats) from May
Oct 06 to the same set of data taken in May to Oct 07.

Ideally I'd like to lay one over the top of the other so I can see the
differences from one year to the next ie, have 2006 as a column chart and
2007 as a line chart.

Any ideas how I do this? So far the only charts I have created have been
mess!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jamie:

It sounds like you need a day of year chart to compare your data.

Take a look at this post to see what a day of year chart looks like:

http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_D...comparison.htm

If the chart on the right looks like what you want, I'll be glad to set it
up for you. Just e-mail me your file

koday*at*processtrends*dot*com (be sure to clean up my anti spam
address)

Kelly

http://processtrends.com