Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default create multiple scatterplot from 3 columns

Hi,
Is it possible to create a scatterplot with multiple series (2) from a
dataset with 3 columns:
group X Y
A 1,9 9,6
B 9,9 3,6
A 8,3 8,4
B 7,7 5,8
B 6,9 0,8
C 6,8 7,3
C 8,2 8
D 6,8 4,5
D 3,1 5,3
E 3,3 5,9

The firts column defines the group (each group has a different symbol), the
second and third define the X and Y coordinates. My dataset contains about
400 lines and has 15 groups, which is too much work to copy the XY from each
group to different columns. I'm working in Excel 2003.

many thanks,
Maarten
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You cannot use this data to make a chart. You need to separate the X and Y
into different columns. This is easy enough to do: insert a column between
the current X and Y comma separated pairs, then split each using Date menu
Text To Columns.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Maarten" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Ha, but they are already separated into 3 columns. The problem is that the
program should recognize different series (A, B, C, D, ...) from the first
column. I know how to create the scatterplots when the X and Y of each serie
are in separate columns (e.g. column 1 has X from serie 1, column 2 has Y
from serie 1, column 3 has X from serie 2, c4 the Y from serie 2, c5 the X
from serie 3, etc...).
However, it takes too much work to copy-paste each time all the X and Y from
each serie into different columns.
is there a way to define automatically all the series from column 1? By
using a macro or so?

"Maarten" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Oh, you're using the comma as a decimal separator, not to separate X and Y
within a cell. Duh, my bad.

This example shows how to separate out the series' Y values easily, using
formulas in columns off to the right of the data:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

- Jon
-------