Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Adding only vertical error bars to a single data point in a series

Hi,

I need to add only vertical error bars to a single data point in a series on
a scatter chart in Excel 2007.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...x#AddErrorBars is worded in a way that
sounds like it is possible to do that in Excel 2007 yet I don't appear to
have the option in the properties for a particular data point or be able to
specify only vertical error bars instead of both (horizontal and vertical) or
none.

How can I add only vertical error bars to a single data point in a series in
Excel 2007?

Thanks,

Chris

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Adding only vertical error bars to a single data point in a series

Hi Chris,

Yes, it is possible to add only vertical error bars to a single data point in a series on a scatter chart in Excel 2007. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Select the data point to which you want to add the vertical error bars.
  2. Right-click on the data point and select "Format Data Point" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Data Point" dialog box, click on the "Error Bars" tab.
  4. Under "Error Amount", select "Custom" and then click on the "Specify Value" button.
  5. In the "Custom Error Bars" dialog box, select "Vertical Error Bars" under "Error Amount".
  6. In the "Positive Error Value" box, enter the value for the size of the error bar.
  7. Leave the "Negative Error Value" box blank.
  8. Click "OK" to close the "Custom Error Bars" dialog box.
  9. Click "OK" to close the "Format Data Point" dialog box.

That's it! You have now added only vertical error bars to a single data point in a series on a scatter chart in Excel 2007.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Chris,
I could not follow you URL since you abbreviated it - why not cut and paste?
This one is specific to XL2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/he...074621033.aspx
I simply make the chart with both vertical and horizontal error bars then
deleted the horizontal
best wises
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Chris Wagner, Northern Michigan Univ."
soft.com wrote in message

I need to add only vertical error bars to a single data point in a series
on
a scatter chart in Excel 2007.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...x#AddErrorBars is worded in a way
that
sounds like it is possible to do that in Excel 2007 yet I don't appear to
have the option in the properties for a particular data point or be able
specify only vertical error bars instead of both (horizontal and vertical)
or
none.

How can I add only vertical error bars to a single data point in a series
in
Excel 2007?

Thanks,

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Bernard -

Google does that to the URLs, supposedly for privacy or whatever, but I find
it a PITA.

I think that the OP wanted an error bar on a single point. To do this, you
need a range for error bar values, with all cells blank except the value for
the particular point. Using the Custom setting for error bar values, select
the range, so that the value lines up with the point you want, and zeros
line up with the rest.

I don't know why they made it so hard to add the error bars you want to
series in Excel 2007. In the new version you have to add the whole bunch,
then remove what you don't want. It took me like an hour to figure this out,
and I don't think I'm a newbie at charting.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Adding only vertical error bars to a single data point in a se

Hi,

Thanks. Deleting the horizontal error bars and using a range will all the
error values at zero except for the datapoints I wanted the vertical error
bars for worked. Kind of an odd solution but it works. Thanks,

Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi when I click on Custom Error Bars a dialog box comes up that lets me
choose the range of cells to use, but when I click on a worksheet the dialog
box disappears. I can't think of any easy way to input the range of cells,
other than copying =Sheet1!$.... Does the dialog box disappear for anyone
else?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The dialog may not be disappearing, but shrinking and moving either to a
place you don't notice it, or even off screen somewhere. I'm not sure how to
bring it back to a useful position.

- Jon
-------