Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Adjust scale of chart to match real world

Hi- I'm plottig a series of x,y points for designing model rocket nose cones
in Excel. I've got everything set up correctly but have two problems-

1. What settings would I use on the x and y axis so that my chart properly
displays the correct proportion of my nose cone? I'm assuming that the x and
y axis should both start and end with the same values- is that correct?

2. And, after I get the proportion correct, is there a way to print out the
chart to match real world dimensions? For example, I'm plotting my dimensions
in inches. Can I somehow print out the chart so that each "1" equals 1" in
real life?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Pat B said:

Hi- I'm plottig a series of x,y points for designing model rocket nose cones
in Excel. I've got everything set up correctly but have two problems-

1. What settings would I use on the x and y axis so that my chart properly
displays the correct proportion of my nose cone? I'm assuming that the x and
y axis should both start and end with the same values- is that correct?

2. And, after I get the proportion correct, is there a way to print out the
chart to match real world dimensions? For example, I'm plotting my dimensions
in inches. Can I somehow print out the chart so that each "1" equals 1" in
real life?

Sadly, Excel's not a drawing program. You might be able to get the x and
Y scales to match enough for your purposes with a bit of effort. Try
changing the *Location* of the chart so it's embedded in a worksheet
instead of on its own page. That will let you drag the shape of it until
you're happy that the x and y grids are square.

Printing out to exact scale is going to be more of a problem. I guess
you'll just have to print out, measure the printed lines, and readjust
the size of your chart until you've reached a satisfactory size.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This tired old page gives a VBA routine to make the gridlines squa

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/SquareGrid.html

I believe it includes a fudge factor that you can determine from a test
printout, to make the screen display a bit rectangular so the printout is
square. Of course, a visual isn't so important if you can feed the
coordinates directly into a CNC machine, right?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

Pat B said:

[...]

NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks guys- I'll try the code. That did bring up an idea at least of
printing it and checking to see if the gridlines are square. Coincidently, it
does appear that if I force the start and end points of my chart to be the
same values that the gridlines just might end up being square anyway.

I've had luck creating a PDF document and parsing it in Corel Draw. Now I'll
print it with the major gridlines and adjust it from there. Thanks!

Pat