Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Unanswered NonConsecutive X Axis

I posted this earlier and never got a response, so I have added some more
detail and am reposting in hopes of solving my issue...

I have a single column of data AJ11:AJ58 which contains a formula that
results in OPEN or CLOSED. I need to reference this column in multiple
formulas as well as in the X Axis of a chart.

Not only do these values change, but they are also not necessarialy
consecutive.

For example, one pass results in a range of OPEN cells (which is what I need
to reference) of AJ25:AJ52 and another common pass results in
AJ11:AJ12,AJ21:AJ58.

Is there a way to name this dynamic range so I can reference it as described?

Obviously, the big problem is nonconsecutive ranges like
AJ11:AJ12,AJ21:AJ58. I can't figure out how to use a range like this in an IF
statement. I also tried
naming those addresses as a range and then named a range that referenced it,
but that didn't work...

I'm running out of options and looking at a deadline - Can you say "Panic"?

Thanks for your help!
Ray
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
RayportingMonkey said:

For example, one pass results in a range of OPEN cells (which is what I need
to reference) of AJ25:AJ52 and another common pass results in
AJ11:AJ12,AJ21:AJ58.

Is there a way to name this dynamic range so I can reference it as described?

It's still not clear to me what you're trying to do. I will stick my
neck out and predict that your purpose will turn out to be served by a
method that does not require reference to non-contiguous ranges: such
things are almost never necessary, and I'm guessing you've gone down a
mental blind alley in your search for a solution and can't get out
again.

Forget the non-contiguous range for a moment and say what information it
is you're trying to present graphically.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Del-

Thanks for the response. I got the proverbial blinders off late last
night... lying on bed thinking about this stupid problem and assuming that I
have over-complicated things - just as you suspected.

Basically, I have a dynamic template that pulls data from other locations
and charts progress for a given supprt team working a certain vendor account.
I have to boil this all down to a period to date rating at a 30 minute
incremental level... Which results in two columns that make up my chart. the
Y Axis is the result and the X Axis is the interval I am grading from 12A to
11:30P. Because some teams are responsible for every hour of the day EXCEPT
1a TO 5a I wound up with a Non-Continious range...

I solved this by naming three ranges.

Range 1 = my main groups hours of operations 7A - 9P

Range 2 = my odd-ball group all hours EXCEPT 1-5am. For this I simply made a
new column and referenced A11:A12 then A21:A58 in a consecutive cell range.

Range 3 = IF statement that reads my critera and chooses the appropriate
range.

Problem Solved!

Thanks for taking the time to write back though, 'cause it did take me a
little bit to realize the err of my ways!

Regards,
Ray

RayportingMonkey said:

For example, one pass results in a range of OPEN cells (which is what I need
to reference) of AJ25:AJ52 and another common pass results in
AJ11:AJ12,AJ21:AJ58.

Is there a way to name this dynamic range so I can reference it as described?

It's still not clear to me what you're trying to do. I will stick my
neck out and predict that your purpose will turn out to be served by a
method that does not require reference to non-contiguous ranges: such
things are almost never necessary, and I'm guessing you've gone down a
mental blind alley in your search for a solution and can't get out
again.

Forget the non-contiguous range for a moment and say what information it
is you're trying to present graphically.

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
RayportingMonkey said:
Problem Solved!

Thanks for taking the time to write back though,

And thank you for writing back with your solution, which will hopefully
help someone else in turn!

--
Del Cotter