Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Graph/Chart Question

I do not use the chart/grph feature too often. I was trying to use the Chart
Wizard to graph the following data:

A B C
3-Jan 6.16% 482202 7822780
4-Jan 5.87% 398392 6788552
5-Jan 2.60% 365581 14064487
8-Jan 5.89% 359353 6102299
9-Jan 3.80% 372896 9812270
10-Jan 4.42% 402357 9102141

I think I need to have 2 different scales (% and Natural).

I could not figure out how to graph this data.

Thank you in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
carl said:

I do not use the chart/grph feature too often. I was trying to use the Chart
Wizard to graph the following data:

I think I need to have 2 different scales (% and Natural).

That's a very nicely formatted table; I imported it into my spreadsheet
with ease.

Unfortunately, your data set is a tricky one, with the three series
having *three* largely different scales. Even if you give your A series
over to the second scale, your B series is still going to be small
compared to the C.

Still, for what it's worth: select the A series by clicking with your
mouse on one of its points or lines (or bars etc.) Then right-click
(assuming you have Windows) and select "Format data series.." to get the
series formatting dialogue box. Then select the "Axis" tab and select
the "Secondary axis" radio button.

Would it help if the primary axis were logarithmic? Try selecting the
axis, right click "Format Axis", "Scale" tab, "Logarithmic scale" check
box. But to be honest, the B series isn't a very interesting one. Can
you omit it, given that A is just B/C anyway, so one of them is
redundant?

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I could not figure out how to graph this data.

This: http://www.dplot.com/misc/carl.gif was created with DPlot via
the supplied Excel plugin and a few extra mouse clicks. I used a log
scale because, as Del already pointed out, the magnitudes of the B and
C series are so different that on a linear scale series B would be
close to featureless.

You can read more about DPlot at http://www.dplot.com. Questions/
comments/suggestions are of course welcome.

David Hyde

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I've been meaning to write this tutorial, and your question gave me the
impetus:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...venScales.html

- Jon
-------