Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Linking chart data labels to cells whose contents change

Excel 97 under Windows XP Home

If I type a cell reference into a data label of a chart series, the
label will show the contents of that cell. If I edit or copy to the
cell, the label changes.

But if I make the cell a formula, then the label does not change after
recalculation when the formula results in a new value. Doesn't that seem
like strange behaviour?

If I edit the label, the value updates, and if I edit or copy over the
cell formula, it updates. But if the unchanged cell formula results in a
changed value, the label keeps the old value unchanged.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

I would like to test this but I'm running under later versions of windows
and I only have Excel 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 (mac), and 2007 installed.

It is strange, it works fine on my versions, so a few questions:
1. when the formula fails to update does Excel show Calculate on the left
side of the Status Bar?
2. What formula is in the cell in question?
3. Does your version of Excel have all the service packs installed for Excel
97?
4. Does pressing F9 update the formul?

Cheers,
Shane

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Del Cotter" wrote:

Excel 97 under Windows XP Home

If I type a cell reference into a data label of a chart series, the
label will show the contents of that cell. If I edit or copy to the
cell, the label changes.

But if I make the cell a formula, then the label does not change after
recalculation when the formula results in a new value. Doesn't that seem
like strange behaviour?

If I edit the label, the value updates, and if I edit or copy over the
cell formula, it updates. But if the unchanged cell formula results in a
changed value, the label keeps the old value unchanged.

--
Del Cotter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ShaneDevenshire said:

3. Does your version of Excel have all the service packs installed for Excel
97?

Shane, good call, thanks. I've installed Office 97 Service Pack SR-2 and
the labels are behaving properly now.

I must go back to my old attempts at sparklines with maximum and minimum
labelled, as they used to crash on me before.

--
Del Cotter