Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I add a vertical line to a horizontal bar chart?

How do I add a vertical date line to a horizontal bar chart?
--
DMM
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I add a vertical line to a horizontal bar chart?

To add a vertical line to a horizontal bar chart in Excel, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the chart by clicking on it.
  2. Click on the "Chart Elements" button (the plus sign icon) that appears next to the chart.
  3. Check the box next to "Axis Titles" to add the axis titles to the chart.
  4. Click on the vertical axis to select it.
  5. Right-click on the vertical axis and select "Add Vertical Line".
  6. In the "Add Vertical Line" dialog box, select the type of line you want to add (e.g. solid line, dashed line, etc.).
  7. Enter the value where you want the line to appear on the vertical axis.
  8. Click "OK" to add the line to the chart.

To add a vertical date line to a horizontal bar chart, you can follow these steps:
  1. Create a new column in your data that contains the dates you want to add to the chart.
  2. Select the chart by clicking on it.
  3. Click on the "Chart Elements" button (the plus sign icon) that appears next to the chart.
  4. Check the box next to "Axis Titles" to add the axis titles to the chart.
  5. Click on the horizontal axis to select it.
  6. Right-click on the horizontal axis and select "Format Axis".
  7. In the "Format Axis" pane, select "Date Axis" under "Axis Type".
  8. Select the date format you want to use.
  9. Click "Close" to apply the changes.
  10. Click on the chart to select it.
  11. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
  12. Click on the "Shapes" button and select the line shape you want to use.
  13. Draw a vertical line on the chart where you want the date line to appear.
  14. Right-click on the line and select "Format Shape".
  15. In the "Format Shape" pane, select "Solid Line" under "Line Style".
  16. Adjust the line color, width, and other settings as desired.
  17. Click "Close" to apply the changes.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"soconfused" wrote in message
How do I add a vertical date line to a horizontal bar chart?
--
DMM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I believe the link below relates to
column or line charts only. The original question pertains to horizontal bar
charts, which is what I'm working with as well. For example, county names is
my Category axis, and percent obese is my Value axis. I would like a
vertical line to appear at "12%" on the value axis. I've tinkered with the
peltiertech.com instructions, but can't seem to break through.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Loretta

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"soconfused" wrote in message
How do I add a vertical date line to a horizontal bar chart?
--
DMM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

For bar charts with a vertical line you need to use xy-scatter to provide
the line either as two points joined or with error bars.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"hogon" wrote in message
Sorry if I'm missing something, but I believe the link below relates to
column or line charts only. The original question pertains to horizontal
bar
charts, which is what I'm working with as well. For example, county names
is
my Category axis, and percent obese is my Value axis. I would like a
vertical line to appear at "12%" on the value axis. I've tinkered with
the
peltiertech.com instructions, but can't seem to break through.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Loretta

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

- Jon