Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Dynamic Chart Title?

I have a spreadsheet I update monthly. Is it possible to have the charts
update the month in the chart title automatically if I have the month in a
cell in the sheet somewhere? Or would have to do this with a macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

You can link the chart title to a cell.
Select the chart title object and then in the formula bar type = and click
the cell to link to.
You should then have a full cell reference formula, something like,

=Sheet1!$A$1

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Kent McPherson" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet I update monthly. Is it possible to have the charts
update the month in the chart title automatically if I have the month in a
cell in the sheet somewhere? Or would have to do this with a macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Andy, thanks. I'm not sure this will solve my problem. I should have been
more specific. I have a title in a chart that says essentially "This is the
report for May 2007". I have several charts in this file that all have
similar titles with the month and year included. I'd like to leave all the
text alone except the month and year and fill those in from another cell in
the sheet somewhere. I know I can do string concatenation in a cell but I'm
not sure how to do it in a chart title or even if it can be done.

"Andy Pope" wrote in message

You can link the chart title to a cell.
Select the chart title object and then in the formula bar type = and click
the cell to link to.
You should then have a full cell reference formula, something like,

=Sheet1!$A$1

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Kent McPherson" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet I update monthly. Is it possible to have the charts
update the month in the chart title automatically if I have the month in a
cell in the sheet somewhere? Or would have to do this with a macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Do whatever string manipulation you need within a cell, and follow Andy's
instructions to link the chart title to this cell.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Andy Pope" wrote in message

You can link the chart title to a cell.
Select the chart title object and then in the formula bar type = and
click the cell to link to.
You should then have a full cell reference formula, something like,

=Sheet1!$A$1

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Kent McPherson" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet I update monthly. Is it possible to have the charts
update the month in the chart title automatically if I have the month in
a cell in the sheet somewhere? Or would have to do this with a macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

In the linked cell enter the formula

=This is the report for :"&TEXT(TODAY(),"MMMM YYYY")

Then link as described,
Shane Devenshire

"Andy Pope" wrote in message

You can link the chart title to a cell.
Select the chart title object and then in the formula bar type = and
click the cell to link to.
You should then have a full cell reference formula, something like,

=Sheet1!$A$1

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Kent McPherson" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet I update monthly. Is it possible to have the charts
update the month in the chart title automatically if I have the month in
a cell in the sheet somewhere? Or would have to do this with a macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Kent,
I think you are asking about updating the chart title, not just a series
title. In Excel 2003, you cannot link chart titles to cells.
What I have done in the past is to create another data series with the
series title linked to another cell. Then I make the data series format so
that it is blank. Then the graphs' legend can be moved near the title and it
looks like it is part of the title. Of course if you have multiple items you
are graphing and the legend is a key part of the graph this may not work to
your liking.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

You can link chart titles to a cell in Excel. In fact you can link Chart,
Axis and Data labels to cells.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

If the text you want to display comes from multiple cells then use a helper
cell and formula, such as CONCATENATE, to build the text you want displayed
in a single cell.

Cheers
Andy