Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Change Y-Axis Run length?

I have a data table that uses data by week. That data has 52 weeks. I
build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52. Great.

I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
goes from 1 to 26. The data in my chart changes to reflect that,
(good,) but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26.
This wastes half of the space in my graph. I am going to eventually
automate this with data From Access.

How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?

Thanx

Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanx, but that is not going to cut it for this project. I need the
axis to change based on the data it is presented. Updating the data
should update the chart, including the axis. Both the X and Y axis may
change by a couple of orders of magnitude between runs. Having to go in
manually and change that each time, (currently expected to be more than
twenty times per day,) is just not feasible.

I thought the whole power of a spreadsheet was to automatically adjust
everything revolving around the data as the data is changed.

Got anything else?

Thanx
Phil

Gerigto wrote:
You should be able to click on the specific axis, then right click and format
axis. Under Scale, you should be able to change the axis range.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you set the axis options to auto, then it will adjust to suit your data,
but it will do it in the way it wants, which isn't necessarily the way you
would prefer it.
--
David Biddulph

Gerigto wrote:
You should be able to click on the specific axis, then right click and
format axis. Under Scale, you should be able to change the axis range.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Why does the Y axis of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth of
data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Phil Smith" wrote in message
I have a data table that uses data by week. That data has 52 weeks. I
build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52. Great.

I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
goes from 1 to 26. The data in my chart changes to reflect that, (good,)
but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26. This wastes
half of the space in my graph. I am going to eventually automate this
with data From Access.

How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?

Thanx

Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

We closed our shipping and sales departments and therefore had no sales,
during the last week and a day for comprehensive inventory count and
reorganization. Otherwise it would have gone from 1 to 54. :-)

"Phil Smith" wrote in message

I have a data table that uses data by week. That data has 52 weeks. I
build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52. Great.

I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
goes from 1 to 26. The data in my chart changes to reflect that, (good,)
but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26. This wastes
half of the space in my graph. I am going to eventually automate this
with data From Access.

How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?

Thanx

Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I guess technically it is 51 weeks of data, covering a time period of 52
weeks, one week not returnign any data. Is that your point? Otherwise,
what is it?

Let me restate:

"Phil Smith" wrote in message

We closed our shipping and sales departments and therefore had no sales,
during the last week and a day for comprehensive inventory count and
reorganization. Otherwise it would have gone from 1 to 54. :-)

Why does the Y axis of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth of
data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Phil Smith" wrote in message
.. .

I have a data table that uses data by week. That data has 52 weeks. I
build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52. Great.

I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
goes from 1 to 26. The data in my chart changes to reflect that, (good,)
but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26. This wastes
half of the space in my graph. I am going to eventually automate this
with data From Access.

How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?

Thanx

Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The week numbers ought to be in the X axis of a line chart.

- Jon
-------

"Phil Smith" wrote in message
I guess technically it is 51 weeks of data, covering a time period of 52
weeks, one week not returnign any data. Is that your point? Otherwise,
what is it?

Let me restate:

"Phil Smith" wrote in message

We closed our shipping and sales departments and therefore had no sales,
during the last week and a day for comprehensive inventory count and
reorganization. Otherwise it would have gone from 1 to 54. :-)

Why does the Y axis of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth
of data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Phil Smith" wrote in message
. ..

I have a data table that uses data by week. That data has 52 weeks. I
build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52.
Great.

I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
goes from 1 to 26. The data in my chart changes to reflect that,
(good,) but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26.
This wastes half of the space in my graph. I am going to eventually
automate this with data From Access.

How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?

Thanx

Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Mystery solved. Sorry if I was a little dense. Otherwise I might have
figured out what you were trying to say.

- Jon
-------

"Phil Smith" wrote in message

I guess technically it is 51 weeks of data, covering a time period of 52
weeks, one week not returnign any data. Is that your point? Otherwise,
what is it?

Jon Peltier wrote:

Let me restate:

Why does the *Y axis* of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth
of
data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Phil Smith" wrote in message
.. .

We closed our shipping and sales departments and therefore had no
sales, during the last week and a day for comprehensive inventory count
and reorganization. Otherwise it would have gone from 1 to 54. :-)

Why does the Y axis of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth
of data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP