Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Can I make a "tab name" the "chart title"?

I am making multiple charts that utilizes a common chart with all the data
represented. As I segregate this data into various subsets and copy charts,
it would be beneficial to have the new charts have as its title the new name
of the tab name I give. Can this be done? Headers use &[Tab] to do this,
but I can't make this work for chart titles and using a header appears to
actually reduce the printed size of my chart.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I make a "tab name" the "chart title"?

Yes, you can make a tab name the chart title in Excel. Here's how:
  1. Click on the chart to select it.
  2. In the Chart Tools menu, click on the "Layout" tab.
  3. In the "Labels" group, click on "Chart Title" and select "Above Chart" or "Centered Overlay" depending on your preference.
  4. Click on the "Chart Title" text box that appears on the chart and type in the formula
    Formula:
    "=Sheet1!A1"
    (replace
    Formula:
    "Sheet1"
    with the name of your sheet and
    Formula:
    "A1"
    with the cell that contains the tab name).
  5. Press Enter and the chart title will now display the name of the tab.

If you want to make this process easier, you can create a named range for the tab name and use that in the formula instead of the cell reference. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell that contains the tab name.
  2. In the "Formulas" tab, click on "Define Name" in the "Defined Names" group.
  3. Type in a name for the range (e.g.
    Formula:
    "TabName"
    ) and click "OK".
  4. In the chart title formula, replace the cell reference with the named range (e.g.
    Formula:
    "=TabName"
    ).
  5. Press Enter and the chart title will now display the name of the tab.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It is the Sheet that has a name; that name is displayed on the tab
This name can be displayed in a cell with the formula
=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)
Let's say this is in cell B1. It will show #VALUE! until you save the
workbook and recalculate it; then it will display the current Sheet name
Then in the chart use Chart Options and add a dummy title ( X will do)
Now double click the title; in the Formula bar type = and then point to the
cell with the formula. This will look like =Sheet!$B$1 but will display the
sheet name
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"CurtG" wrote in message
I am making multiple charts that utilizes a common chart with all the data
represented. As I segregate this data into various subsets and copy
charts,
it would be beneficial to have the new charts have as its title the new
name
of the tab name I give. Can this be done? Headers use &[Tab] to do this,
but I can't make this work for chart titles and using a header appears to
actually reduce the printed size of my chart.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

An additional option utilizing a macro:

Sub TabNameAsTitle()
With ActiveChart
.HasTitle = True
.ChartTitle.Characters.Text = ActiveSheet.Name
End With

John Mansfield
http://cellmatrix.net