Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Possible to turn off graph refresh temporarily?

Graphs in 2007 are very slow to refresh after refreshing a data
connection. When I remove the 30 graphs in my spreadsheet and refresh
the data connections, it refreshes in less than a second. When the
graphs are present, it's more than 10 seconds. Is there any way
(VBA?) to disable the refreshing of the graphs until after the data
connection refreshes have completed, and then to re-enable them? Kind
of like a "manual calculation" mode for graphs.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'm not aware of anything that allows you to stop the graph refreshing as
such. However, you might be able to get around this by using a VBA routine
to update your data connection. I'm assuming your data comes through in a
query table. In the VBA, have a routine like:

Sub Process_Updates()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Activesheet.QueryTables(1).Refresh(False)
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Using the "False" parameter forces Excel to wait until the data has been
returned fully from the data connection. Turning screenupdating off means
excel doesn't change anything on the display until screenupdating is turned
back on.

I haven't used 2007 yet, but hopefully this should work for you.