Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default "Stacked scatter plot"?

Hi. I want to have a stacked area plot to show off how much time out of the
total various tasks take in some simulation software I have. The problem is
that the input data (the x axis) occurs at irregularintervals. E.g. I may
have data for 10 elements, and then the next is for 20 elements, and then one
data point for 21 elements or whatever.

Just producing a stacked area plot looks allright, but even though the
input:time releationship is more or less linear, I get this weirdly shape
curve because Excell just assumes that the input data value pairs should be
evenely spaced on the X axis.

Is there any way of getting it to put the "ticks" on the X axis depending on
the actual value rather than just uniformly distributing it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Tell us more details about the two sets of data
Then tell us what the chart should show.
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"sylvan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Like I said, I have various "times" that all add up to a total time. E.g.
"For input of size N, task A takes 4ms, task B takes 6ms, task C takes 1 ms"
etc. Each of these task's times are in a separate column, where each row
corresponds to a different N. I'd like a stacked area chart for this to show
off the total time, and the individual sub times.

This works if I just choose "stacked area" chart, the problem is that my "N"
values are not spaced out uniformly (e.g. N could be 1, 2, 4, 10,
25,50,56,63) so the "ticks" on the X-axis shouldn't be uniformly spaced out,
bur work like a scatter plot.

"sylvan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This may work. Chart menu Chart Options Axes tab, change Category (X)
Axis to Time Scale. Then double click the axis, and on the Number tab,
choose General or another relevant non-date format.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"sylvan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'm sorry, I'm using Office 2007 and can not find these options. I did find
the option of setting the X axis to "date" which did indeed spread out the
sample points like they should in the graph, unfortunately it still spaced
out the "ticks" uniformly which is a problem for me (Only certain values for
"N" are actually even valid, so if I have values for N=5 and 7, it's not
acceptable to get a tick at 7, even if the data is correctly fitted to the
actual sample points).