Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default combining several (8? 10?) plots into one continuous figure

Hi,

I'm trying to create a plot that looks similar to this one:
http://www.rsc.org/ej/CP/2001/b100243k/b100243k-f1.gif

So what I have are about 20 different spectra like those you see in the gif
file above, and I would like to put them into groups of 8 or 10, but with no
spaces between the plots. In other words, I want them ALL on the same
x-axis. The y-axes for each will be different.

Impossible? =)

Thanks for any help you can provide
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You are trying to make a vertical panel chart. here's a link that should get
you started.

http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_s...ormed_data.htm

I'll be glad to walk you through the set-up if you have any questions.

Kelly O'Day

Remove *s and blanks to get my e-mail address
**koday** @ ** processtrends . com

http://processtrends.com

"SpaceIceGirl" wrote in message

I'm trying to create a plot that looks similar to this one:
http://www.rsc.org/ej/CP/2001/b100243k/b100243k-f1.gif

So what I have are about 20 different spectra like those you see in the
gif
file above, and I would like to put them into groups of 8 or 10, but with
no
spaces between the plots. In other words, I want them ALL on the same
x-axis. The y-axes for each will be different.

Impossible? =)

Thanks for any help you can provide

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Following Excel function is making the trick somewhat more user-friendly
than that of Kelly, though the form of the proposed function may look
formidable.
You should have original data arranged into columns against the independent
variable (wave length). Integer FirstRow (of the data array) should be
defined, equally VShift (vertical distance between curves, expressed in units
of independent variable - say in µm), either as named parameters or as fixed
cell references. You can use even the horizontal shift by applying similar
HShift - sometimes it contributes to the lucidity. The unit here is the
number of sheet rows the next series should be shifted by, against the
previous one (provided the independent values are equidistant).
What you need is to create equal number of columns to the right in the same
sheet filled (by copying) with this function (written as a whole):

=If(Row(D10)-K$2*HShift=FirstRow;
If(Offset(D10;-K$2*HShift;0)0;Offset(D10;-K$2*HShift;0)+K$2*VShift;
NA());NA())

D10 here stands for the counterpart cell in the original array.
K$2 stands for the serial number 0,1,2,€¦, which must be placed in a header
row, each above the shifted data column (fix it horizontally!). The serial
numbers define the numbers of steps of both of shift units.
If you now apply the same chart for the new array as you would on the
original one, you will obtain the requested picture.
With regards
--
Petr Bezucha

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

[...]