Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Layered charts

I have to create a chart representing population data: males & females. in
addition to these two columns, I would like to add the sum of the two.
Graphically it would be great to represent the third column (the total
population) behind the two M & F columns, providing visually an indication
that it is the sum of the two.

I've seen something like this in a recent PPT created with Office 2007
(charts from Excel 2007, the version I'm currently using). Is there a smart
way to obtain this result?

Thanks, Stefano
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Why not make a tornado chart -
see http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html
The overall population is clearly represented by the combined length of the
left and right columns
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"smaruzzi" wrote in message
I have to create a chart representing population data: males & females. in
addition to these two columns, I would like to add the sum of the two.
Graphically it would be great to represent the third column (the total
population) behind the two M & F columns, providing visually an indication
that it is the sum of the two.

I've seen something like this in a recent PPT created with Office 2007
(charts from Excel 2007, the version I'm currently using). Is there a
smart
way to obtain this result?

Thanks, Stefano

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The problem with a tornado chart, is that it's hard to directly compare the
bars to the left and right of the center line. I would prefer to create a
dot chart with three series: Male, Female, and Total.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"smaruzzi" wrote in message
I have to create a chart representing population data: males & females. in
addition to these two columns, I would like to add the sum of the two.
Graphically it would be great to represent the third column (the total
population) behind the two M & F columns, providing visually an
indication
that it is the sum of the two.

I've seen something like this in a recent PPT created with Office 2007
(charts from Excel 2007, the version I'm currently using). Is there a
smart
way to obtain this result?

Thanks, Stefano

interactive charts for stacked bar charts [email protected] Charts and Charting in Excel 4 December 28th 06 09:58 PM
Combine Clustered Column Bar charts and Stacked column bar charts Richard Charts and Charting in Excel 1 October 26th 06 02:44 AM
Matching the colors Column Charts and Pie Charts RohanSewgobind Charts and Charting in Excel 3 April 21st 06 09:35 PM
charts Brian Excel Worksheet Functions 1 March 31st 06 01:04 PM
Layered "If" statement. brookdale Excel Worksheet Functions 9 June 27th 05 01:32 PM